Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TNEarthmama
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Need Advice. Reply with quote

I'm a full time college student (nursing) our hope had been for me to be done with school before our son started Kinder. Well now it looks like I may be in school for at least 1 semester thru his Kinder year.

Is it possible to HS and still be a student myself??? I may be working part time also at the time.. Only Sat/Sun.

I tend to do more work with him when I'm home. Husband does not really get involved much with the school stuff.. When I'm studying I sit son down and give him projects, letters, crafts, stuff to work on and help him as he asks questions.
hscoach
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think it is very possible. Especially since he is in kindergarten, it will work out for you. When a child is in kindergarten, they can accomplish their school work in a very short time. (possibly one hour)

I guess the main thing you will be teaching him is how to read. That might take up the biggest chunk of your time each day. Then a little bit of basic math and handwriting. It won't take up much more time to do science and social studies. It's just so simple for kindergarten, so yes, I believe you can easily do it! Smile
FFkm
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need Advice. Reply with quote

TNEarthmama wrote:
I'm a full time college student (nursing) our hope had been for me to be done with school before our son started Kinder. Well now it looks like I may be in school for at least 1 semester thru his Kinder year.

Is it possible to HS and still be a student myself??? I may be working part time also at the time.. Only Sat/Sun.

I tend to do more work with him when I'm home. Husband does not really get involved much with the school stuff.. When I'm studying I sit son down and give him projects, letters, crafts, stuff to work on and help him as he asks questions.

I think that's a good idea, to study next to him. Make it a point to tell him that it's study time and that Mommy is doing it too! That always seemed to encourage my little one.

And just like the last post said, Kindergarten is a lot less time-intensive so you should be able to do it while you finish up school yourself! Good luck.
hsingscrapper
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Advice. Reply with quote

I have three boys, two in the throes of school and one coming up the ranks.

I'm curious as to whether you can sit down to read anything without him pestering you? Legal issues aside (and you should follow your states laws), I would not start school until he pesters you every time you start to read something. IMHO, I don't think boys are really ready until they start pestering. Studies have been done on boys being ready for academics later than girls.

So does he pester you about what you're reading?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: