Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melenie
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Bob Books Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Bob books to teach an early reader?
I have recently found some at our library and DD likes them, so we are going to try using them to teach her to read.
I was wondering if anyone has used these books and what your thoughts are on them.

Thanks!
Melenie
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at them but wasn't overly thrilled with them for the cost. If my library had them I would have given them a shot though. We use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. DS picked it out at the library and loves it.
Melenie
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 100 easy lessons with DD, we did the first 2 lessons and after that it become too much like work for her. She is still very young so we will try it again in a few months. For now I think something like the Bob books, that seems less intimidating will be good option. Not sure how much learning she will get from them though, she knows all the letters and their sound it is just a matter of putting them together.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melenie wrote:
I tried 100 easy lessons with DD, we did the first 2 lessons and after that it become too much like work for her. She is still very young so we will try it again in a few months. For now I think something like the Bob books, that seems less intimidating will be good option. Not sure how much learning she will get from them though, she knows all the letters and their sound it is just a matter of putting them together.

DS likes it for some reason, LOL!! I will say that we don't use the script. I tell him what each new sound is and he reads through his part of the book. Each lesson takes about 5 minutes and he is good to go!

The BOB books are definitely worth a try since the library has them!!!
Melenie
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the 100 easy lessons book and may try to do it a little less structured like you did. It may appeal to her then.

Thanks!
Melenie
nellie
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really enjoy reading Bob Books:) We have all the sets and like to read them over and over. They are wonderful little books.

Other books you might like, that are similar, are the Nora Gaydos books.

Enjoy!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Books Reply with quote

Melenie wrote:
Has anyone used the Bob books to teach an early reader?
I have recently found some at our library and DD likes them, so we are going to try using them to teach her to read.
I was wondering if anyone has used these books and what your thoughts are on them.

Thanks!
Melenie

A friend of mine did. It worked for her little ones!
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see Bob Books until after we started Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, but I am glad I did not bother with them, although I feel should say that reading came very easy for my daughter. I did have to back up a few lessons when she stalled out or take breaks a time or two with 100 EZ Lessons, but then we started when she was only three years old. She just turned six and is reading solidly at a third--maybe fourth--grade level now.

Have you taken a look at http://starfall.com yet? My daughter enjoyed playing there.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Bob Books all the way through and my son totally loved them!
Melenie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to find a set of Bob books at a homeschool consignment store on Friday and bought it for next to nothing. Over the weekend I started sounding out the words with her and she has started sounding them back to me and is able to read some of the words herself. Her awareness of phonetics has increased so much, it is like something just clicked for her. She now goes around telling me what random words start with. I like that it is not lessons based and more of a game for her. DD is 3 1/2 so I think I will give her a few more months with the bob books and our normal reading together, then I will try her on the 100 easy lessons again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: