Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Report cards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Report cards? Reply with quote

It seems that you dont mention anything about the importance of maintaining school report cards. I found a useful site called http://www.report-systems.com/w1cms/index.php?SID where it enables school report cards to be created easily and at no cost.

I think it could be one of those things that are forgotten, but are an important aspect of any teaching, that of maintaining credible records.

Not to mention when your child eventually leaves the home school and applies for places at college or university, the report cards can be a valuable back up to prove that your education at home has been worthwhile.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Report cards, transcripts, and testing... Reply with quote

Report cards would make it easier to produce grades for each course, but a good record-keeping system can't be limited to just that. You also have to be able to prove to the colleges you actually did the material, which means you need a full transcript, not just grades. For instance: Homeschool Minder

Or you can make things even easier for both you and the colleges, and take nationally standardized tests (AP, CLEP, DANTES) in each core subject. Not only does this give them your grades in a format they have to accept, but it makes it much easier for them to compare you against others, and good scores will often get you college credit. It's possible to test entirely out of the first 1-2 years of college. I highly recommend going this route rather than relying on transcripts..
jim
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: reporting needs Reply with quote

Yes i agree that you should not only take standarised tests to provide a benchmark to grade against, but should also ensure that you carry out regular assessment reporting each term as would be the case in a regular school.

I imagine that parents who try to do the difficult job of teaching all the subjects might forget some of these other equally important admin aspects.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't find report cards very useful because we work on a unit or topic until proficiency has been met. So they would have A's in everything if we did report cards. Not to mention we don't test! For instance, if we are working on simple multiplication we will not move on to complex multiplication until they have mastered the simple stuff. Since we are not bound by a strict school schedule we are able to allow the children to accomplish and master one task before moving on to another.

For us, transcripts are more valuable. We keep track of the things we have studied and the extent we have studied them. I make notes in our plan book of things we might want to revisit because they were too young to understand or moved on to another interest before getting around to.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: reporting needs Reply with quote

jim wrote:
Yes i agree that you should not only take standarised tests to provide a benchmark to grade against, but should also ensure that you carry out regular assessment reporting each term as would be the case in a regular school.

I imagine that parents who try to do the difficult job of teaching all the subjects might forget some of these other equally important admin aspects.

Frankly, I didn't find report cards to be the least bit important. The primary purpose of report cards is for teachers to let the parents know how the dc are doing in school. Since *I* was the teacher, I already knew that.

As a homeschooler, I didn't have "terms." My goal was not to emulate "a regular school." Educating children does not have to look anything like a "regular school" at all.

Standardized test scores, possibly portfolios of the learner's work, are all the record keeping that might remotely be important, and then only if the learner is going to begin attending a "regular school." I didn't need those things at home, either to validate what I was doing or to prove anything to anyone outside my home.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to submit report cards to our cover school. The state we live in doesn't demand it but when we were first coming from a public school to home schooling we wanted to do this as well.

I have found I HATE grading. Particularly Latin and advanced math.

This is my formula:

1/3 of their grade comes from daily effort and attitude, which is entirely based on my POV.

1/3 of their grade comes from work done with me or turned into me.

1/3 of their work comes from tests.

I use excel to record and average grades. Then I put them into a report card which I send to the cover school, my husband and the kids twice a year. I also send mid term reports to them so they know each nine weeks how I think they are doing.

I'm finding this to be a bit redundant since they already know what I think about the work they are doing. I rarely give tests anymore because again, I do know how they are doing. We used to do at least one test a week when we first started.

Anyway, that's the way we do things.
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
This is my formula:

1/3 of their grade comes from daily effort and attitude, which is entirely based on my POV.

This sounds like the best homeschool system for grading I've heard so far! Just to clarify, though, does "daily effort and attitude," go for each individual course (like math or writing) or would it be an overall daily grade that gets averaged into every course's final grade?

Sorry if I sound dense, but I'm feeling like giving grades might be a good idea for me to try this year (I didn't bother last year when I started, but the program my son was using gave grades for what he did on it anyway) but haven't been really sure how to go about it. I mean, with history, for instance, I'm not planning on giving "tests" so I was floundering with how to figure this.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolly-VA wrote:
StellarStory wrote:
This is my formula:

This sounds like the best homeschool system for grading I've heard so far! Just to clarify, though, does "daily effort and attitude," go for each individual course (like math or writing) or would it be an overall daily grade that gets averaged into every course's final grade?

Sorry if I sound dense, but I'm feeling like giving grades might be a good idea for me to try this year (I didn't bother last year when I started, but the program my son was using gave grades for what he did on it anyway) but haven't been really sure how to go about it. I mean, with history, for instance, I'm not planning on giving "tests" so I was floundering with how to figure this.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration!

I do an overall daily effort grade for simplicity but you could to it either way.

I'm glad you see some value in how I do it. I just put the grades down in excel when I decide them and let excel average them for me at the right time.

My daughter taught me how to use excel. She also teaches my son advance math so she decides some of those grades. He'd better cooperate and not frustrate her too much!
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first "marking period" of homeschooling we did report cards, but my mo finds it so much easier to just record all of our assignment grades/test grades using a free downloaded grading program. It files away our yearly grades, our subject grades, and even our individual assignment grades. The site we use is http://www.engrade.com/ and you can register as a teacher and make accounts for your children so they can view their grades as well. My mother finds it easiest to grade all the papers at the end of each marking period (approx. two month's time) and record them on Engrade at that time.

Depending on how many children you have/what age they are/your resources, there are many options for grading, report cards, etc. that you can choose from. We use Engrade because it's easy and does the job well.
kerry1968
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mastered/unmastered instead of grades. It seems to "school" like to assign a grade. All kids need to feel successful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Recordkeeping / Portfolios All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: