Need advice on an education experience for the summer...

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bigreys5
User

Need advice on an education experience for the summer...

Postby bigreys5 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:00 pm

I homeschool my two youngest boys year round. things are great there, and I have that covered for the summer.

My dilemma is that my step children (9 and 11) are here for 6 weeks.
My brother in law (14) is also living with us this summer. All three are ps in arkansas, doing well as far as we know. I usually like to incorporate some sort of learning experience with them into our "schoolday." Last year, they decided to work on their cursive writing, and I found some Jan Brett cursive lettering that they worked on one letter a day. Their choice. This year, since they are older (and we have an extra), I wanted to do a little more. I was thinking of letting them pick out any subject of their choice that they wanted to learn more about, and do all they can researching it, and organizing a report/ lapbook thing.

What do you think or are there any other suggestions? I know my daughter will want to be the "teacher's helper" and also planned on that, but I want them to be interested and have something to show at the end of the summer.
Batrice - Kings Academy
Mommy to: Gabriel(2000)allergic to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish and Michael(2003)
Step mom to: Isaiah(1996) andRebekah(1997)

bellfam11
User

Postby bellfam11 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Funny - we have a Michael, a Gabriel and a Rebekah too - plus a few more (not the same ages).
In Christ, Colleen for all us Bells

"In Him we live,

and move,

and have our being." Acts 17:28

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 pm

I think letting them choose a subject to delve into is a wonderful idea. Sounds as though you've got it together.

My only question is...do you have room for 4 more boys? :lol:

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:30 am

One of my brothers is going to explosives camp. I so wish I could have done that one myself!

Allene
User

Postby Allene » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 am

I am so NOT going to tell my dh that there is such a thing as an explosives camp. HE would want to go and he was excited enough when he discovered the Backyard Ballistics book. :)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:33 pm

Is that like potato guns and so on?

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”