Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to Pull it All Together

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Trying to Pull it All Together Reply with quote

My daughter got married last month. WHEW! I am happy to look back and be thankful it is over. (not the marriage, but the wedding day.) The planning was an incredible amount of work, especially if you want to save money and still make it elegant and fun. My daughter and I researched to find the best buys for what she thought was most or least important. I kept a thick notebook with pockets and created a table of contents page with extra room to add forgotten categories and numbered the pages. Calendar pages with large squares were kept with the notebook. Reciepts were kept in an envelope in the notebook pocket. A variety of wedding library books and DVD's were borrowed and renewed several times cause I was too cheap to buy a variety. I prefered to spend the money on jewelry for my dress. Anyway, the ceremony was lovely and the reception was a lot fun. Being organized takes time and careful planning, but very rewarding.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did it cost? I once did some programming work for a company that sells wedding gear, and their prices were just sick.
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started out hoping to get away with as close to $6,000 as possible. Well, that was a start. We told my daughter if she had a very small ceremony, she could have the money. Bribery was not an option.
Reception, photography, invitations, stamps, wedding cake, limo, favors, flowers for bride, brides maids, and receptions, program, DJ, attire for my husband, 3 sons, 2 grandsons, my dress and accessories, decorations, miscellaneous, and whatever else I have forgotten. For 160 guests about $11,000.
She bought her dress and my friend made her veil which with the pattern and material cost about $25.00 versus $150-300.00.
I read that the average wedding is $22,000. We were NOT going to do that! Who made up all those rules about what is proper?
If you persevere you can find reasonably priced items. The wedding cake was made at Mars grocery store- and they deliver. (Some of the guest couldn't believe it came from a grocery store bakery.) One beautiful cake to feed 156 people (not including the top saved for the bride and groom) with a sheet cake to match plus set up cost $325.00 instead of 600.00 to over 1,000 for just the cake. This was pound cake and was very moist, not like the usual dry wedding cake.
Anyway, a long answer for a simple question.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still expensive, but less than $70 per guest overall isn't bad. You often pay more than that for prom tickets these days. Did you ever watch Father of the Bride?
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is still too expensive. You're right about the prom tickets. High school reunion tickets are more.
I need a good laugh. I have to watch that, again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: