homeschoolers getting ready for SAT/ ACT

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jessszilla
User

homeschoolers getting ready for SAT/ ACT

Postby jessszilla » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:48 am

is there any program that you recommend im going to have to get started on this soon so i can get excepted into college after the next two years

thanks in advance for you help !

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 pm

You need to know all math up through Algebra II like the back of your hand. This includes basic geometry. You also need to have excellent reading / writing skills, since a short essay section has been added to the SAT, and there are of course writing mechanics and reading comprehension to worry about.

I suggest buying or borrowing an SAT test prep book. Do a practice test, then study hard in the areas you're weakest in. Saxon is good for math up through Alg. II, reading comprehension will improve as you read more books, and your writing just needs a massive amount of practice. If possible, write at least a couple short essays each week on topics you know a lot about, or feel strongly about. Have all your mistakes pointed out, then rewrite to fix the mistakes.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:47 pm

There are free programs on the internet and websites that offer free help too. I can only think of one but it is http://www.studyguidezone.com. Don't know how much help it will be but you could do your own search too.

Ramona
User

Re: homeschoolers getting ready for SAT/ ACT

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:28 am

We went to a big bookstore and flipped through all the ACT prep books they sold till we found the one that looked like it would give us the most value for the money. In the front there was a recommended schedule for studying up, and we followed it almost exactly, adapting slightly for our own situation.

Ramona

Return to “High School / College Prep”