Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ohio Law and Education Requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thyrotome
User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Ohio Law and Education Requirements Reply with quote

I am trying to find out what the laws in Ohio and the requirements are for each grade on homeschooling. Could someone please help me. Thanks.
Nancette
User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to get you started......

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=OH

hope this helps.

Nancy
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio Law and Education Requirements Reply with quote

Getting Started in Ohio
http://www.cheohome.org/getting_started/getting_started.htm
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest daughter is a ways away from compulsory school age, but she might start kindergarten at home in the fall of '08, a year before she's eligible to start public school. I've been doing a lot of research & reading about homeschooling, and I have a question about homeschooling in Ohio.

In the notification to the school's superintendent, #8 is "Assurance that the child will be provided a minimum of nine hundred hours of home education each school year." Do I need to keep track of the hours, and does anyone check up on that?

Does anyone with experience homeschooling in Ohio know?
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The form says at the bottom (emphasis mine):

(A) The parent(s) shall send to the superintendent an academic assessment report of the child for the
previous school year at the time of supplying subsequent notification.
(B) The academic assessment report shall include one of the following: (attached)
(1) Results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement test; or
(2) A written narrative; or
(3) An alternative academic assessment.

CHEO has this to say about record-keeping:
http://www.cheohome.org/getting_started/started/records.htm

Bottom line, you aren't required to actually send in attendance records unless you're going with that option, but the records probably need to be kept anyway as insurance in case someone accuses you of not actually teaching your daughter.

I checked HSLDA, but all they have to say for Ohio is "HSLDA’s legal analysis for Ohio is under revision. Please check back soon for updates."
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you.
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I go to the HSLDA website and print out the form for the written narrative. I have an Ohio certified teacher sign it. I send that in along with my intent to homeschool and my "brief" outline of curriculum for the following year. The only problem I have ever had was when a couple of months into the school year the school system sent me a letter saying they hadn't recieved any of these things. Fortunately I had made copies of all of them and had sent it certified return receipt mail so I was able to send them a copy of all of it, including a copy of the receipt that they signed. I HIGHLY recommend doing that! The HSLDA membership is very handy because they have all the forms and information already done for you.

Good luck!
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The written narrative that you are referring to--are you referring to the option to show the child's work without having to do the standardized testing?

So when you say each year you send in the narrative signed by a certified teacher, are you sending in a narrative of the previous year's work?
Calleigh
User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I send in the narrative it is in lieu of the testing, and it is for the previous year's work. I kill two birds with one stone by sending in my "intent to home school" for the coming year at the same time.

Calleigh Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: