Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home schooling from abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariana2
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Home schooling from abroad Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new at this, so someone please give me a hand...
My family and I are planning to move to Croatia this June. I have a son that will be finishing kindergarten this school year here in Ohio at a parochial school and another son who is not yet 2 years old. What I would (ideally) like to do is homeschool (in English) along with sending them to the local school for them to know the language. But here is where I get confused...
1. Is there a better curriculum in one state as opposed to another, or is there an advantaged state, i.e. is Massachussettes better than Ohio's?
2. Would the "school" or state be sending me supplies and things for educating my boys, and are they willing to send abroad?
3. How does the state go about deciding whether my child[ren] have "promoted" to the next grade level?
4. Upon graduation (senior year) how do they go about with SATs, ACT, AP, & IB exams? Would they register and pay for these exams just as they would if they were schooled regularly, or do they need to have a name of a homeschool, or the name of the local [Croatian] school? And where would they take these examinations; here in the US, or in Croatia?

I am trying to avoid them having to take the TOEFL, since they will be educated abroad (and the school will be abroad), and besides they should know how to speak English!

If anyone can answer these questions, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mariana
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Home schooling from abroad Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a better curriculum in one state as opposed to another, or is there an advantaged state, i.e. is Massachussettes better than Ohio's?

Curriculum is going to vary from school to school more than from state to state, and while some states do have higher overall standards than others, this isn't likely to be a very important issue. Homeschoolers pick their curriculum independent of the school system, and as long as the required material gets tought, it doesn't really matter whether you used an "official" state curriculum or not.

Quote:
Would the "school" or state be sending me supplies and things for educating my boys, and are they willing to send abroad?

I doubt you can stay officially enrolled in an Ohio school while living in Croatia for a long period of time. The schools get paid based on attendance, and even the distance learning adjuncts will most likely require that you live inside the state. However, you may be able to buy a copy of the school curriculum, or if you want to go with something different, there are many good packaged curriculums available, or even online schools:

http://www.home-school.com/mall/curriculum/general.html

Quote:
How does the state go about deciding whether my child[ren] have "promoted" to the next grade level?

This is pretty much up to the individual schools. They might take your word for it that your children have advanced a grade, or they may require tests, or they could be nasty and ignore your homeschooling entirely. The best way to find out is to ask - and get their answer in writing.

Quote:
Upon graduation (senior year) how do they go about with SATs, ACT, AP, & IB exams? Would they register and pay for these exams just as they would if they were schooled regularly, or do they need to have a name of a homeschool, or the name of the local [Croatian] school? And where would they take these examinations; here in the US, or in Croatia?

Yes, you register and pay like normal. For school you can give "Homeschool" or "Family Name Homeschool" or perhaps the name of an umbrella school (if you happen to be homeschooling through one to fulfill state legal requirements). I don't know if the exams can be taken outside the US, however - this is again something you'd have to find out by asking. Perhaps you could take them at a military base?
mariana2
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I still need to do a lot of homework in regards to what school to choose (online or home district). If I choose to pick the district, I will need to ask about how they feel about being abroad and homeschooling (sending me stuff and all the other things necessary) and look into the laws and regulations. So much to look into -- I didn't realize I opened up a can of worms here! Shocked

Any insite as to whether an online school is better than choosing a district curriculum? I noticed one of your members is a student residing in Germany, but is HS online by Laurel Springs based in Cali. I think you mentioned Theodore that you would need to reside in the state... Did I misunderstand you? Confused

Thanks...
Mariana
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: I believe Laurel Springs is a private school, therefore.. Reply with quote

I believe Laurel Springs is a private school, therefore the residency rules don't apply. You were asking about the public school system?
mariana2
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public or private... it really doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to go overboard with tuition or fees. The school my son will attend in Croatia is free (as are the books), but that doesn't mean that I will have extra cash to spend on tuition for homeschooling... pay is about 45% less than it is here for my profession Sad and I still need to put a roof over our heads (which is even more expensive than here in Ohio)!

I've asked to state of Ohio to send me more info about homeschooling, rules, etc. and I am still waiting on that.

I've read on other sites to stay away from asking the school district you live in for any help on hs. Is this true, or is this lady just p.o. about something the school district did to her?

Any other thing I should know about?

Mariana
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's nothing wrong with asking the school district where to get copies of the school curriculum, or whether you can stay enrolled through a distance learning program while in Croatia, but asking them how to homeschool would send the message that you don't know what you're doing. Probably not a good idea. Smile

As for curriculum, the whole idea of homeschooling is that your children learn at home. You don't need to be formally enrolled in any school program to homeschool, and there's no need to spend more than a few hundred dollars per year on curriculum. You can even put together your own curriculum using books from the library and books borrowed from other homeschoolers, in which case you'll be spending practically nothing - except of course a significant amount of your time. Going with a packaged curriculum at least for the first year is most likely the best choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: