Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Book Reports Reply with quote

I'm working on teaching my HS about Book reports. I remember doing book reports in school and found them to be very helpful in my love of reading. My memory is a little missing. I was wondering if any of you HSers knew of any good websites that would help me teach my HS about Book Reports. Like material that should go into a Book Report & Ect. ~Or~ any Ideas on a new or different approach of addressing a book report. Maybe verbaly or both verbaly and writen. My HS is in 8th grade and really has never done a book report so I was thinking of some thing on a 4th through 6th grade Book Repot Level. Thanks for any links or ideas.
-Veronica :0)
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book on my shelf that is book report forms, they are set by genre of the book. They have both writing and activities you do with the book. When I taught public school it was what I had the kids use in my classroom. I made them do 4 book reports a quarter. Next time I go down stairs I will pull the book up and get the title for you.
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Young has so many fantastic resources.
Check out the "Book Logs" link on this page:
http://donnayoung.org/english/index.htm
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For literature next year my son will be reading six classics and then writing a book report on them. I wanted to have some ideas for him to do besides just a traditional book report so I have enjoyed the posts so far and look forward to future ones. Thanks everyone!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Book Reports Reply with quote

Vomo wrote:
I'm working on teaching my HS about Book reports. I remember doing book reports in school and found them to be very helpful in my love of reading. My memory is a little missing. I was wondering if any of you HSers knew of any good websites that would help me teach my HS about Book Reports. Like material that should go into a Book Report & Ect. ~Or~ any Ideas on a new or different approach of addressing a book report. Maybe verbaly or both verbaly and writen. My HS is in 8th grade and really has never done a book report so I was thinking of some thing on a 4th through 6th grade Book Repot Level. Thanks for any links or ideas.
-Veronica :0)

www.lovetolearnplace.com has great book report forms.
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen or heard of Institute for Excellence in Writing http://writing-edu.com/writing/ you should check it out. It is an amazing program to teach kids 'how' to write with concrete directions. I began homeschooling my 7th grader for the first time this past October. He HATED writing. When we first began, anytime I asked him to write anything he balked (but was very agreeable about EVERYTHING else.) We went through the SWI-B (Student Writing Intensive, lvl B...for middle schoolers) from November through March and he's a totally different person about writing now. We'll be doing the SICC-B (Student Intensive Continuation Course, lvl B) this next fall. I'm also using it with my new-to-homeschooling 3rd grader, but plan to begin it more formally in the fall with her (SWI-A, for her.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: