Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our wacky days and nights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Our wacky days and nights Reply with quote

They vary a lot.

I get the kids up at noon. Being a night person, and having a husband that works nights half the year this works well for us.

Some days I've already been up doing gigs before returning home. I miss no waking time with the kids this way.

We have brunch. Discuss goals and errands that need to be run. These could include what school work should take priority and why. Errands might include, driving lessons, grocery store, tennis, library, aikido, teen group meetings, other meetings with friends, the science museum and so on.

Next we get to work or run errands. After that we do what still needs doing. The kids typically work a day a head so they get to keep the privilege of keeping any schedule they want.

I e-mail them a list of assignments and obligations on Saturday. We typically work Sun-Thurs, taking Friday and Saturdays off. That's the way we like it. On Fridays and Saturdays we do special family times like game days, zoo days, movie days, meeting up with friends and other kids or what have you. Husband works every other weekend so half the time it's without him.

If they are sick one day, they double up and work more another day too.

I try to make sure they don't have more than 2-4 hours of actually seat work to do on any given day.

They may elect to be working at midnight. As long as they maintain good grades, stay ahead, meet their obligations and keep a good attitude toward others it's all good.

If they don't, it's time to face the consequences. It's rare that they don't.

One of my goals is that by the time they are out on thier own, they will be able to look at the clock, set it for the time they need to get up and be ready for whatever obligations their days and nights hold. I know I wasn't ready for that in college. Hopefully they will be ready.

Stellar
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our wacky days and nights Reply with quote

Wow! Cool!

I hadn't thought of emailing assignments to my kids. Might have to try that one!

Ramona
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our wacky days and nights Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Wow! Cool!

I hadn't thought of emailing assignments to my kids. Might have to try that one!

Ramona

It works well for us. They can transfer the assignments into any organizational form that works for them after they get the e-mail. We all think a little differently about how to organize best for each of us.

I keep a spread sheet on excel of their work subjects and put any grades on that as things are turned in. The program averages grade for me when I put the right formula in which saves me a lot of time.

Grading is one of the things I hate most about home school and yet I feel a need to quantify and qualify. I like to use a one third weight each on tests, daily effort and assignments turned in. Late assignments lose them points as well as privileges.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: