Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Easy Books Reply with quote

I am having a hard time finding books that my third grader would like. He has a learning disability, so his reading level is about 1/2 grade level. My friend had this great idea. Have him make his own. He has a hard time writing as well, so he dictates to me, I write down sentences on blank pages, then he has to read and illustrate. It's going well so far. It isn't a baby book, because he wrote it, and it is in his "language" so he can read it easier. You can use power point to. That's a fun way to do it.

If you have any other ideas, I would love them. But I though I would share this one too.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! I may just try this with my LD child. He struggles so much with reading but if he made his own books, I am quite sure he would enjoy them more. I don't have any other ideas, but I do love yours!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this site:

http://www.bookadventure.com/

You can search books by grade level starting with kindergarten.

I then search our library data base for the books.

There are all kinds of neat features like looking for the genre you child tends to like, prizes they can earn and so on.

I do like the idea of writing your own books though. You can't go wrong with that. I often did that with my kids particularly when they faced something difficult for which there was no book.

HTH,

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: