Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Literature-Based… Yay!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite homeschooing style/method?
Literature-Based
28%
 28%  [ 11 ]
Structured/Textbooks
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Unit Studies
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Unschooling
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Other - Tell us!
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 38

easyhomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Literature-Based… Yay!!!!!! Reply with quote

Whether Charlotte Mason or Robinson or a simple do-it-yourself with etexts and the library I vote for literature-based studies! No other method will produce as much for as little (time and money expenditures). IMHO, only literature-based will produce a literate, thinking adult. Moreover, it is so SIMPLE for the parent. Start with and continue reading aloud on a wide range of subject areas. Let your child feed back by writing or narrating. Later let them read silently and study independently. What could be easier?
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a variety of methods. I don't use Charlotte Mason per se, but I do use a lot of literature. I also use a lot of unschooling and some structured/workbooks and I use unit studies with social studies and science. I take Waldorf principles and apply them to my own homeschool, but I don't agree with their entire philosophy (mostly the part about kids not being ready for formal schooling under the age of 7).

Eclectic describes us pretty well. Very Happy
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Eclectic so I voted "Other." I pick and choose different sources for the different subjects based on what looks interesting to me and what I think my kids would excel using. We use online programs, workbooks, video lessons, documentaries, books, internet research...

While I certainly like the abstract concept of literature-based curriculums, I'm not certain how this would work for a 7th and a 3rd grader in all subjects, especially kids who have been in public school until very recently. (I also haven't researched this method so I don't feel like I can make any kind of judgement, comparative or otherwise, on it.)
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav is un schooling but I don't feel that we can do it all by itself at this point.

My second fav is literature based.

What we actually do is eclectic.

This year my son had a mostly unschooling year just like my daughter had in eight grade only of course different because they are different kids. I had no desire to start either of them on high school a year early.

So I gave them each that year to pursue their passions and hone up on any areas I thought they needed extra work. It's made for great years when we've done this.

Stellar
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are classical/unit study.
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are eclectic. We use a curriculum for math (BJ until 4th grade and then Saxon). We unschool for science and history. In language arts I follow the "Read something every day, Write something every day" approach.

Once my oldest son reached 7th grade, however, he is pretty much taught by the textbook/structured method. He had no problem (or very little) easing into it. Hopefully it will go as well for the rest of them.
Kandie
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Limited overseas Reply with quote

Since we are overseas homeshoolers we are quite limited on our choices. We do all textbook work since we don't have libraries available to us. We do bring in as many books as we can and I frequently order books for my avid readers. I also like the structure of the curriculum guides since teaching isn't really my thing but I am learning to love it and boy and I really learning too! We use a variety of BJU, ABeka, Saxon math.
jan
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in our 2nd year of HSing,and as far as I am concerned (still newbies). We are still finding our way ,it is a never ending process, but an enjoyable process.We are learning new ways to learn all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!
barabi51
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: eclectic literature-based unschooling Reply with quote

We were struggling with homeschooling after the first two months, and I was feeling like such a colossal failure. Then we found out about literature-based homeschooling (Sonlight, in our case) and it revolutionised my attitude. We're already a very literature-oriented family, and when a friend told me about Sonlight and showed me her newest shipment of books, and I recognized some of them right away as wonderful classic titles, and the others as unfamiliar (to me) but good new material, I was deeply impressed.

Other than that, we try to pull in as many educational resources as possible. We currently live in a very culturally rich part of the US, with free or reasonably priced plays, concerts and art shows happening year-round on a regular basis, museums and historical sites everywhere, and a large homeschooling community where we all keep each other updated on what's happening--from the latest visit by some famous musician or author, to information about farms where you can pick your own strawberries, apples or green beans in season. I really appreciate being able to do these things with my kids and not have to write excuse notes to get them out of regular classrooms.
the irishman
User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: literature based Reply with quote

I shouldnt even be allowed an opinion here............... I am an absolute newbie.
Rookie.
I am just starting to homeschool my 5 year old.
Having said that, I am approaching his whole education with a literature based curriculum.
As few "textbooks" as possible, and going right to the original sources -
age appropriate of course.
He just doesnt seem to understand "Crime and Punishment" yet.
Minniewannabe
User

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love a structured approach in our family with a little twist. Instead of following the lesson plans, my DD can progress at her own rate in the subjects she loves and must keep grade level up in the subjects she doesn't like so much. Then we supplement a great deal with a science lab, Chinese, Spanish, typing & other computer classes, guitar, piano, sports & dance. We're lucky in that this approach works well for her and satisfies her old traditional parents. Ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: