Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing each year to see if we're on track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dempstermom
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Testing each year to see if we're on track Reply with quote

I'm new to homeschooling. We will be starting September of this year. My concern is that we stay on track. I will not be using a formal curricullum like Beka Books. So I'm wondering if there's a test or a way to get a guide on what our goals would be each grade at least Kindergarden to 5th grade. I have a Kindergardener and a soon to be four year old. I have plenty of resources for the four year old since I've been teaching pre-school for 5years. Our budget is very limited and I will be working the curriculum on a thematic type of study and very close to an unschooled approach. So any suggestions would be welcome.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been asking around for the same thing. I don't want to have to give them a standardized test. I want to give them a test that I can work on with him. THey have great tests for preschoolers, but after that everything is really standardized. I let you know if I find anything.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
dempstermom
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for the reply. If I find something out I let you know as well. For the preschool test what did/will you use?
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... I seem to recall a series of books being out there.. something
along the lines of "what your __grader needs to know"
I think it went up to 6th grade.
Should I locate the data I'll let you know.

mark
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THose books are good MArk, but not very comprhensive, and not a test. YOu can find checklists on most parenting sites for children birth -5 I'll see if I can find one for you. I'm still talking to the teachers at the local school, and i'm hopefully, going to get a checklist for my boys. No one can think of any test that is interactive for children over 5. SOmeone really needs to make one, if their isn't one.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for letting me know on those books then.. Smile

I'll keep an eye out for something that might work.

mark
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally since I am a certified Test administrator for the Iowa Basics and Standford, my children will take them each year just to make sure they are keeping up (even though I know they are) with other children in the US.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: keeping track Reply with quote

Try going on the website of your local school district, or any district (ours is dcsdk12.org), or several districts and check out their district standards for kindergarten. You could turn those into a checklist for yourself and just find your own ways to 'test' your kindergartener to see if he/she has mastered those. Depending on the district, some will be specific - words they Must know how to read and spell, others will be vague - can retell a story in the right sequence after having it read to them...

I haven't started home schooling yet, but I'm planning now for next year. I don' t plan to buy a curriculum except for Math. We'll use the library mostly. But I did download the district standards for each of my kids' grade levels and typed it into a check list for me to mark off when they master each of the standards they are required to meet.

Another thing you could do is use that Everything A Kindergartener Should know book and just copy down the table of contents and use that as a checklist to keep track of what you've introduced your child to. As you teach your child about each item, or see your child exhibit a knowledge of any of those items - check them off! A Kindergartener would be pretty easy to test informally by just writing some things down on a paper and asking him/her to name the shapes, or write his/her numbers in order up to 20 or whatever!

Good luck!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POC4U is a great way to test level and it not be a big pressure standardized test feeling ordeal. It also helps you test for your child's highest learning styles and suggests the best curriculum for those learning styles! This has really helped us over the years.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

We order the CAT's each year as well.

http://www.setonhome.org/

We use the Scoring High prep for the CAT's.

http://www.debrabell.com/Undefined/test.htm

The first year we sat for the SAT with our cover school. The situation wasn't good. Kids were allowed to basically go nuts. It wasn't really conducive to good test taking and concentration.

Oh and it seemed as though our kids slid quite a bit percentage wise until we learned that they were being compared not to public school kids but to private and home school kids.

Stellar
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some great sites, by searching for benchmarks instead of assessment.

http://standards.achieve.org/node/175

http://www.glenwoodschools.org/School%20Improvement/Curriculum/Math%20Benchmarks/reading_benchmarks.htm

http://edstandards.org/StSu/Math.html

The last one has benchmarks according to your state.
GeekyMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the links!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: