Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

homeschooling w/ only 2 mths to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmacuba
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: homeschooling w/ only 2 mths to go Reply with quote

I have decided to take my 12 year old son (7th grade) out of ps because of frequent lockdowns in his school due to gang related activities. I am now tring to find information on how to get started while there are only 2 months left of this schoolyear. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: homeschooling w/ only 2 mths to go Reply with quote

Find out what's legally required for taking a child out of school in your state and then do it. (IME, it's usually a two-week notice to the local school.)

Don't worry about trying to homeschool on the public school schedule. If he's been in PS for 7 or 8 years, he may need to take it easy and just wind down for 7-8 months before starting on a formal curriculum plan of any kind. In the meantime, just have him go to the public library frequently and read as much as he will of anything he's interested in; do chores around the house every day; get outside and get some physical exercise in the fresh air and sunshine every day; and spend time with you getting to know each other again. Smile

Ramona
Jally
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Ramona said. When I decided to homeschool I took my son out of PS in April of his first grade year. I had to start documenting the day I took him out so I didn't have to account for the first 100 + days of school.
lmacuba
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already removed him from ps. I told ps I was moving him to a private school however my husband and I decided to homeschool instead. So , how will it be determend if he goes on to 8th grade? Is there testing for grade recoginition?
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting to put him in pub sch for 8th grade? If so, ask them about their policies and get their help in planning lessons for the rest of this year.

If not, then you get to decide whether/when he goes on!

Ramona
lmacuba
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to homeschool through 9th or 10th grade. Do you thinkit is to hard for a child to adjust to ps after being out this long?
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling a 7th grade boy! Laughing Just teasing. Wink I too pulled my 7th grade son from ps, but I did it this past October. I'd never dreamed of homeschooling prior to this, but it's been really great for both of us. In fact, I ended up pulling my 9yo daughter out in January (as opposed to continuing to fight the school about testing issues.)

Here's how it was with me and mine. I know people say to let the child just be for so many months (1 for every year in ps) before beginning more formal homeschooling activities. While it sounds nice, maybe it is for younger kids, but for this age, I could see it as having a detrimental effect on where he is in his education compared to where others his age may be. My plans are to homeschool through 8th grade then decide at that time, with my son, what to do. But I couldn't let him lose 1/2 to 1 year of education in this time! Fortunately, my son was so thankful to not be in ps anymore, he very willingly began working right away, throwing himself into it completely (probably to show me how cooperative he could be! Rolling Eyes ) Anyway, I found an online program that he liked and just let him go at it however he wanted at first. (I decided on an online program because 1) I was totally confused about where to even start and this looked like it would be both good and easy to start with; 2) it was on the computer and he's a total computer-aholic; and 3) he was very anti-teachers then and I didn't have any confidence in my teaching ability either at that point.) Fortunately, the online program turned out to be just what we needed and it's been working great for us (though now I'm doing other things with him as well.)

However, with only two months left of school, I would probably not begin him on a "full" curriculum. Definitely keep him up with math, though! And lots of reading, especially reading (non-fiction and historical fiction) that would go along with whatever history he was studying (here my son was covering US History from 1866 to Present...easy!) For both science and history there are plenty of excellent programs on the history, discovery and learning channels that he could see (my kids and I watch a show a day while we eat lunch.) Maybe fill his day with less stressful "lessons." Was he taking a foreign language? If so, I would definitely get a program so he doesn't lose what he's learned. However, if not, maybe start him on something! Ask him what he'd like. (My son speaks Spanish from 6 years of immersion school, but he's begging me to let him learn Japanese now instead.) Can your son touch type? That would be a great thing for him to learn, there are fun programs out there and this will help him a lot if he learns to type well and fast. How about chess? Another computer "game" that will help with thinking skills, but is also fun.

Anyway, these are just a few idea that came to mind when reading your post. I'm sorry your son's school was having so many problems. I can relate! Hopefully, you'll have as much fun homeschooling as I am.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: