Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good citizenship Studies in Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Good citizenship Studies in Texas Reply with quote

Hello I'm New and I'm trying to figure out the best way to abide by the Texas required "Good Citizenship" Curriculum?
I have read the deffinition of what "Good Citizenship" is on the THSC website but still don't understand it in a whole. I'm thinking it is pretty much what I would call History Lessons of the U.S.A. & Texas. If I do have a good understanding it. Why then do they have to give it a fancy name of "Good Citizenship" and not Just call it History????
My daughter is in the 8th Grade. If that hleps any.
Would love any and all help with this one.
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good citizenship in my mind would be a course in civics, of sorts. Understanding of how our government works, voting, the president, past presidents, US history, etc.

Not sure how TX defines it but that's what I think of when I hear "good citizenship". As for the name, yeah, all that was "Social Studies" when I was a kid. Schools seem to like coming up with vague new terms in the ever changing attempt to be PC. This may be another one of those attempts.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THSC: What is a course in good citizenship?
The judge determined that such a course was a civics course or a study of government.
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! Very Happy
Yup I guess it is that PC thing. LOL! Ithink they should Just call it History or how about Life PAst & Present that will cover every thing....LOL!
Thanks again Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good citizenship Studies in Texas Reply with quote

Vomo wrote:
Hello I'm New and I'm trying to figure out the best way to abide by the Texas required "Good Citizenship" Curriculum?
Would love any and all help with this one.

Well, there really isn't a "curriculum." There's only a requirement that it must be done. Given the lack of more direction, I'd say you're free to do whatever *you* think fits the bill.

What do *you* think your dc needs to know to be a good citizen? Do that.
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went straight to the source....my daughter! I went over a list of a few things and she came up with a few too. She decided she wants to learn more about elections & ect. Smile So we are off to get some books and ect tomorrow
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good solution. Smile
dectaz
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am n Texas.
I am new here, but I feel your angst.
This was our first year, but I feel I have a firmer grasp on the concept than I did last year....

If your daughter were in Public School, Texas would consider her "Texas History" and U.S. History" classes to meet the equivalent Civics requirement.

Therefore, to me it means, "age appropriate social studies, history, geography and how to function in society, such as voting and jury duty.

My first graders meet that requirement by leaning the 7 continents, American History in "Christopher Columbus" history and learning about why and how people vote. (Not a complete list, of course.)

If they were in 8th grade, it may include a more in depth study of how a bill becomes a law, American and World History topics, and even perhaps a study of who our local and state elected official are and what they do.

Texas rocks for homeschoolers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: