Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for 9th grade literature guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertway
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for 9th grade literature guide Reply with quote

Hi,

I just joined the forums. We have been homeschooling my daughter for three weeks.

I'm looking for a literature course that is focused on analysis. She is doing a separate course in composition and mechanics, so extended writing assignments are not what I'm after. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Jodi
isamama
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for literature guides to accompany particular novels/books your daughter is reading? If so Progeny Press (Christian based), Garlic Press, Portals to Literature, Discovering Literature Series, and Teacher Created materials offer analysis. Rainbow resource has a lot of lit guides.

Portals Huckleberry Finn covers: comprehension/thinking skills, literary appreciation, vocabulary, and writing. The writing exercises are easy to skip or short if you did them. For example, Compose an ad for a short film based on the novel, predict outcomes, a paragraph which includes motifs found in novel, or write a sequel to Huckleberry Finn Otherwise there is a lot of analyzing & interpretting.

If it is a full curriculum you are looking for I investigated Abeka's and they looked pretty good, only my dd16 prefers to choose what books she reads and when, so we take the lit guide route.
Desertway
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The Portals series looks like what I'm after. Much appreciated!

Jodi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: