Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

special-ed homeschool in Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfwalls
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: special-ed homeschool in Hawaii Reply with quote

Hello, I did a quick search around the forum, but couldn't find the specific information. I guess I just want to see if anyone else has had a similar situation, and what they might have done.

So anyways, on to my problem. My daughter, who is 6, is diagnosed with adolescent bi-polar disorder. Her history with formal, public education hasn't been that great. She was kicked out of 2 pre-schools, and has switched teachers in kindergarten and 1st grade.

The main problem with us has been fighting the administration and teachers to get what our daughter needs. They are very ignorant when it comes to her disorder, and seem to be unable to recognize the facts of bi-polar and how it affects her. We have to constantly educate the staff about bi-polar, but they just seem to dismiss the fact that many of our daughters problems are bio-chemical. They keep thinking that her problems in class are because we don't know how to parent her, and if they could just use their tried and true methods of behavior control and education she would be fine.

So we've come to the point where we're ready to give up on the school, and just pull our daughter out. The problem is I work part-time at the school (my wife is a full-time teacher there), and I can't afford to quit and homeschool my daughter. Now I've read that if a school can't provide the services needed, then the state has to pay for the homeschooling materials. Does anyone know if the state can also compensate the parents as a teacher, or for loss of wages from staying home? I haven't found any info on the net yet, but if anyone knows of a resource with the information, please give me the link.

Oh, and it is definite the school can't provide what we need. We live in the very rural town of Lanai City, HI. In the last IEP meeting we wanted our daughter to have a one-on-one aide, but since the school said they couldn't provide one because of the lack of resources they were not able to write that in the IEP because they would immediately be in non-compliance with it.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help or advice given. Thanks.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK the school is breaking the law!! They have to provide you with what she needs. IF you want to keep her in public school get a lawyer! As for homeschooling, I have never heard of a state doing any kind of reimbursement for homeschooling. To be honest having them do that means you will have to answer to them about how you homeschool and such, something most people do not want to have to do.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the closest you can get to reimbursement for homeschooling is charter schools, but that still requires you being under the oversight of the public school system, and charter schools typically limit the curriculum you can buy to "approved" materials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: