Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With the possibility of returning to PS...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: With the possibility of returning to PS... Reply with quote

I am considering homeschooling my nephew who will be in 5th grade in the fall. My question is this...what would be a good curriculum for him to use considering that the possibility of only homeschooling for one year is high? He is very bright and not behind at all, as far as I know. We would be homeschooling for social reasons, not academic reasons.

It's very different thinking about planning his curriculum than when I think about planning my daughter's curriculum. My daughter is going to be homeschooled as long as I can handle it. We've almost finished our first year (first grade) and we are pretty eclectic about it. I'm not completely comfortable doing that with my nephew since he would be returning to PS.

Any help and suggestions would be great!
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.Time4Learning.com. My 12 yo son really likes it and it seems to cover all the necessary bases. (Plus, it will be very easy on you with also working with your child. Wink )
kkapfe
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Time 4 Learning Reply with quote

What does it really cover? Is it a complete curriculum or just a supplement?
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a page that has all the grade level courses listed on the left side. You can click on whatever grade and course you want and see a scope and sequence for that course. http://www.time4learning.com/scope-sequence/index.shtml You can then compare this to your state's requirements (or whatever it's call that they plan to cover for the year) and see if it meshes.

I'm not certain if you're familiar with the Compass/Odyssey system. Many school systems use this. This, I think, is the only site that provides the curriculum to the homeschooling community. Here is another site, maybe the home site, but I'm not sure. Because so many schools use it I keep finding myself at their home sites as I searched for it! (It looks right...hehe) http://www.compasslearning.com/
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only going to HS for one year, you might want to check with your nephew's school. It depends upon your relationship with the school or course, but I am in tight with mine. We are homeschooling next year for one year for travel reasons. Everyone at school supports us and thinks it's great.

I went in Friday for some advice from our Building Resource Teacher and she said, "Oh Debbie, don't buy anything! You can borrow everything from us!" She sent me off with a math book, spelling book, and grammar books for each of my three kids. They keep a whole class set of every book in case the school grows alot in one year (our district is known for that!). These were th only books I'd planned on buying as I'll use the library and my own collection for Reading, Writing, History, and Science! She just saved me over $300!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: