Ideas for teaching place value/base 10 to a 6 year old?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Calla_Dragon
User

Ideas for teaching place value/base 10 to a 6 year old?

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am

At our house, we're currently working on place value/base 10. My son is generally very gifted in math, but we seem to have tripped up on this concept. Does anyone have any ideas for teaching the place value concept to a 6 year old kinesthetic/visual learner?

Thanks in advance!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 pm

You probably want to use manipulatives - squares for 1's, lines of 10 squares for 10's, blocks of 10x10 squares for 100's. It's fairly easy to show visually how places work.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:13 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:00 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Ramona
User

Re: Ideas for teaching place value/base 10 to a 6 year old?

Postby Ramona » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:25 pm

IME, the more different physical objects used, the better. Coins work sometimes to some degree, and I like to use Lego bricks to make "towers of 10." And for up to 20, fingers and toes are helpful, too. (40 or more if you have a parent and child or more than one child.)

Also, use all the different math "languages": written words, written numerals, spoken words, pictures, physical objects, fingers and toes, music, etc.

Ramona

Joylane
User

Postby Joylane » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:40 pm

For my daughter I used graph paper. I cut out strips of 10 squares, and then individual squares for ones. When we got to hundreds I added 100 blocks. I would show her first how it broke down, for ex. 15 would be 1 strip of ten and 5 one squares.

Another idea I seen after my daughter had already learned it, but I thought was great, was taking popsicle sticks and glueing 10 beans (beads, whatever you have small enough to fit) to each stick and using them to represent 10's and then using individual beans for ones.

Graph paper is really really handy. I also used it to teach rote counting by cutting out a hundred block and numbering 1-100 and then highlighting 2's on one, 3's on one, 5's, etc. Then I would have her put beads on the highlighted numbers counting as she went. I would then have her look at the pattern it created. Eventually I gave her sheets without highlighted numbers and had her place the beads. It worked great! You could also use it to show even/odd numbers.

Homeschooling on a tight budget has made me come up with some crafty ways to invent manipulatives. :wink:

Return to “Math”