Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mallen9217
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Considering Homeschooling Reply with quote

Hello All! My name is Tarita, and I am seeking your help. I have a 7 year old son that is in Kindergarten for the second time. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and has been labeled emotionally handicapped. The public school that his is in currently, is recommending alternative schooling with the State but I do not wish to go that route. I have been told that once he's in this particular schooling, it would be very difficult to get him out. For this reason, I am considering Home Schooling. How can I help him to get through with the rest of this year in Kindergarten and what subjects would I need to cover to help him to make it to the first grade??? I've asked his current school for help with the subjects that he still needs to cover, but they said they would get back with me. Does anyone have any recommendation? Please and thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. Confused

-Tarita
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: CONSIDERING HOMESCHOOLING Reply with quote

mallen9217 wrote:
Hello All! My name is Tarita, and I am seeking your help. I have a 7 year old son that is in Kindergarten for the second time. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and has been labeled emotionally handicapped. The public school that his is in currently, is recommending alternative schooling with the State but I do not wish to go that route. I have been told that once he's in this particular schooling, it would be very difficult to get him out. For this reason, I am considering Home Schooling. How can I help him to get through with the rest of this year in Kindergarten and what subjects would I need to cover to help him to make it to the first grade??? I've asked his current school for help with the subjects that he still needs to cover, but they said they would get back with me. Does anyone have any recommendation? Please and thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter. Confused

-Tarita

Well, here's the thing:

If you decide the homeschool, the first thing I would do is cease referring to him as a kindergartener. That puts him as much as two years older than most children in kindergarten. I would just say that he is 7 years old, and go from there. You don't have to worry about what to cover so he can "make it to first grade." There are no grade levels when you are homeschooling. There are just children of different ages and needs.

It would help if we knew what state you're in.

You would want to work with his reading skills and his math, as these are the two areas which will affect everything else.

You could consider Math U See, www.mathusee.com

For reading, there are a number of excellent phonics-based methods available. My favorite is the Spalding Method, which is taught in the Writing Road to Reading, www.spalding.org. Other good materials are PhonicsPathways, www.dorbooks.com; AlphaPhonics, www.howtotutor.com; and Explode the Code, http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?subject=02S&subjectdesc=Phonics&series=1460M
mallen9217
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: THANK YOU! Reply with quote

Thank you, very much. I sincerely appreciate this information!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: