Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Horn in the House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Green Horn in the House Reply with quote

HAHA! Thought that would make some of y'all smile. Green horn is what I consider myself since I yanked my kids out of public school and slam dunked them into hs. I have a 10 year daughter, a 7 year old daughter and an almost 5 yr old son.

I am having such a hard time with the curiculum sorting out. I went with Alpha Omega because it seems the most affordable. I am going to do Math and Language Arts with my girls but Science, Social Studies, History and Geography are subjects I have yet to find something to use. I have assigned Chapter books for my daughters to read and made up my own questions to broaden their reading skills since they both read above their grade group.

I have requested a dozen or so catalogs from various textbook sellers and looked at almost all the freebie sites for teachers but printer ink isn't any cheaper than a textbook.

I have a fear that I will always be leaving something out. My 7 year old is not interested in doing any work at all.

Sorry for the babble got alot going on in my brain.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Today Reply with quote

Well managed to get most of our work done today. Trying to help two children in two different grades at the same time is hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to juggle two grade levels cause pretty soon I will be juggling three Smile
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh...

if I figure out a good way to juggle it I'll let you know.. Confused

mine seem to need help at the exact same time, naturally.. Smile

and if I'm trying to make lunch at the time, so much the better. Laughing

mark
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Sleeping in Reply with quote

~funny Mark~

Ya juggling is going to be something I am gonna have to be good at. Managing 3 kids, housework and other resposibilities is a trip.

I think once I get all the materials I need to keep them occupied I will be able to get things on a smoother even keel.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Ex-Husband Reply with quote

Since y'all have just meet me my oldest Haley is from a previous marriage. I had not yet told my ex that I was homeschooling his daughter. Well today I decided to see what his reaction to her being homeschooled would be. Surprisingly enough he had no problem with it. He had graduated from the same school district and remebered how much trouble he had when he went. So he was cool with it.

So that headache is out of the way. Well will see what will happen next week Smile

Any one like GS cookies? LOL
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad he took it well Smile

GS cookies.. yumm.. can't keep'em here though, the buzzard.. erm..
my son.. yeah.. has food allergy considerations.. not that it would
stop him from plowing through them if they showed up..

LOL
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: My daughter told me... Reply with quote

Cheyanne my middle child today told me she rather be stupid then sit down and waste her play time on learning. Any of you all have a child like mine?

The last couple of days this week we have been working like clock work. I have managed the juggling issue by working with Haley first then Cheyanne. I have not been working with my son, Garrett (4 years old) I have been just letting him be a kid. But yesturday he was sitting on the floor looking through Cheyanne's work books. He brought one to me and point blank asked me where his workbooks were. I was kinda shocked really because I figured he'd want to play instead of sitting down and milling over school work.

SO this morning I looked through my file cabinet for some activites that Cheyanne never finished when she was in Pre-K. I found some flash cards that he helped cut out (number cards) we went over them afterwards. Then my husband, Chris, found a cut out dice and he cut it out then taped it together. Garrett got to toss the dice across the livingroom then count the dots on the dice then he ran over and Chris had him pick out the flash card that matched the number of dots. He really just got a kick out of throwing the dice. We used Boggle JR to work with his letter recognition and basic spelling he really likes playing that game.

Then we went to Wal-Mart to the Stationary department and he picked out a Dora pre-school workbook. So yeah now I am back to juggling Smile

Happy Day!
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My daughter told me... Reply with quote

When my kids say things like that I tell them that at their age we human beings don't do what we want to do, we do what our mothers tell us to do. Then I tell them to do their work.

My itty-bitty kids are always wanting workbooks, so I get them pre-K workbooks and I never bring up doing them, but any time they bring it up we do a page or however many they want. The youngest I've started them was about 2 1/2. Usually I try to put them off till they're 3.

Very Happy

Ramona
hatcher1999
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Free Day Reply with quote

Today was a free day my husband wanted to go check out a store that had some toys he collects and I wanted to go to Half Price books to see if they had anything there resonably (sorry about the spelling) priced. I found some more flash cards for Garrett and a writing workbook for Cheyanne. I also found some textbooks I may go back for. So at least I am starting to get a better range of places to get resources. I still have not made it the library yet I think that will be something for next week Smile

Anyone like Girl Scout Cookies LOL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: