Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I balance my time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykiddosmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: How can I balance my time? Reply with quote

I have four children, b5, b2, g1, and b2 mo. After extensive research into the school system here in CA, I have decided that there is no way in the world that I am going to send my children to public school. We kicked around the idea of catholic school, but the closest is 1 hour away, so that is out of the question. The best answer for us seems to be homeschool. I am a little scared it and I am really looking for some advice.
How do I manage my time between children? My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall, so how do I divide my time between children? If anyone has any tips, I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is the best thing for my kids and our family, it just seems getting started is a little scary.
Also, how do I find other moms in the area that also homeschool?
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California has numerous homeschool groups:
http://www.home-school.com/groups/CA.html

If none of them are close enough to you, you can also try searching for Internet-based support groups for your area through Google or Yahoo Groups.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I balance my time? Reply with quote

You can manage your time any way that you want. You're the boss.

You can experiment and change what you're doing every day or every week or every year. There are very few "rules" when it comes to homeschooling. You are free!

When I started homeschooling my oldest I would do several things with all the little kids participating as a group. Then after lunch I would put all the littler ones in their rooms for naps/quiet time and do the big-boy stuff: math and reading readiness--with my son one-on-one.

As time went on I needed more time for the math and reading, so I would have the little kids play with toys in a designated area near us while we worked. Sometimes I would have the older preschooler push the baby in a stroller up and down the hall for a while. When needed, I nursed the baby while doing a lesson. The kids learned by experience to make allowance for each other's presence in their lives.

One way to find homeschoolers in your area is to google terms like "CA homeschooling" or "[your county] home educators."

HTH,
Ramona
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one little one to deal with when my oldest is doing his schoolwork. I usually get him started on painting, stringing beads, linking plastic color chains, puzzles, or other age appropriate activites that they can do while my oldest is doing his school work. My 6 year old has learned that he needs to have some independence and patience when it comes to his schoolwork. That's not to say that I make him do it all on his own, but he understands that I will go through a few problems with him and he should continue on his own. If he finishes before I'm ready to get back to him or if he has a question, I always set out an alternate activity he can keep busy with until I get back to him. Usually it's the two of them working at a table or within a few feet of each other on the floor so I usually just flip back and forth between them, but occasionally I'll need to go change a diaper or what not so that involves me leaving the room for a few minutes. My oldest either comes into see what I'm doing or keeps busy until I get back and we resume then. I can't say if that would work with 4 kids or your particular 4 kids, but it may be something to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: