Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music In Home Schools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Music / Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicsoundspurdy
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Music In Home Schools Reply with quote

Greetings!

I would like to open a discussion about how home school students and parents feel about a former music teacher coming to their homes for a private lesson situation in a music field of their choice.

I am looking to supplement my retirement income and would like to teach students or adults beginning piano, voice, or instrument lessons.

While the marketing strategy for this is being worked on I would be curious to know how this population views the idea.

I realize that some parents are perfectly capable of this and I would not be trying to say otherwise. This would be an attempt to bring music to those students under the parents supervision in their own environment, thus enhancing the home school experience.

I would love to hear from as many people as possible!

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several children in our homeschooling group that take piano lessons. We even have an ad on our groups classfied area by a piano teacher.

We just bought a house and are fixing many things. Once the repairs are done (hopefully by spring) we will be purchasing a piano. Our children will start lessons either in the summer or next fall.

I know there are supposed to be self teaching lessons out there, but I feel I can only tackle a certain number of subjects before I start having serious meltdown Wink
kidzaplenty
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would love to have someone to teach music to my children in my home. We do not currently have lessons for any of my children, mostly because of the number of my children and the fact that I would not have time to be running the children all around to different places for them. I am busy enough as it is, adding an extra errand that takes 30 minutes to an hour once or twice a week is just too much.

So, I think there is a need out there.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
FLMom
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love this option, not just for instrument/voice lessons, but for a general music lesson as well.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Music In Home Schools Reply with quote

Being an old piano teacher from way back, I've always taught my kids all their own music lessons. But I've also occasionally taught other homeschooled kids in my home, and if I had no music-teaching background myself I would want my kids to take lessons from someone, whether at the teacher's home or at our home.

Go for it! Very Happy

Ramona
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvelous idea. Smile

I know for me, I've given up on teaching instrumentation to my kids, I am
relegated to overseeing practice time though. but that means we take them
to lessons all over the place it seems.
piano lessons for both
woodwind for my son
and strings for my daughter.. different places for violin and cello.

to be honest, it would probably be a help to many homeschoolers I know
for that service to be offered.

mark
schoolymum
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I am a musician,I am grateful to be able to teach music/singing etc to my children. Very Happy
kyonkers
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a great idea. I would love to have a music teacher at home. With the extra curricular activities I wouldn't be able to handle it.
LasPlagas
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be an excellent idea. I'm sure lots of people could use a personal in-home music teacher. For now (being homeschooled) I've been teaching myself electric guitar and loving it. I've been playing about 8 months now, and am having lots of fun going on the internet and finding lessons and things like that. But I'm convinced thatt a teacher would get me so much farther.
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a music teacher come to the house would be like having a doctor that made house calls: almost too good to be true.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sounds like an excellent idea.

While I took voice lessons and choir for eight years while in school, I never really learned to play an instrument. If my children ever get to the point of wanting to learn an instrument I will have to arrange lessons for them.

I'm currently considering buying a guitar and teaching myself to play. My younger 2 love music and I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Now that I'm a mom learning to play guitar is added to a list of things I wish I had learned before having children.
Shari Nielsen
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people would pay dearly for someone to come to their house to teach their kids music. I have 3 little ones (and a fourth one is scheduled to arrive in mid May) and I have no idea how I'm going to get them all to their lessons. I would love it if someone came to me and I could be working w/ the others or cooking dinner while one is getting an individual lesson!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caveat - piano is the most popular instrument to learn, and unless you have a good piano of your own (or don't mind making do with a keyboard), it may be difficult to learn piano from a house call. I can just picture the piano teacher trying to lug a piano in and out of each house Smile
barabi51
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The student would definitely need a piano or keyboard in the home when taking lessons, because, after all, they need to practice every day anyway. Unless they have "practicing privileges" with a friend or neighbour; in that case, they could arrange to have their lessons there, too.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach music in my area to mostly homeschool kids and am getting ready to start an ensemble group of homeschool kids. I don't go to their homes but I do teach in 3 different cities on different days so the parents don't have to far to drive. If I didn't have 3 kids that I am homeschooling too I may be more inclined to go to peoples houses, but my kids are always with me.

I think most of the country needs these kinds of teachers. If you are reasonably priced I would think you will find lots of students. I keep my fees low and I have a waiting list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Music / Art All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: