Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We are considering a move to South Dakota,...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isamama
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: We are considering a move to South Dakota,... Reply with quote

but I am worried about the transition from an easy to hs state to a more challenging state. Is the hs approval involved or problematic? What do they consider as "appropriate improvement" for the test results?

Any information about the hs environment in Rapid City would be appreciated. Activities? amenities? and homeschool groups?
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my understanding of the law ANY standardized test would be acceptable. Looks like you don't even have to turn in the results, just have them on hand. So that should not be hard to do. There are several ways you can get your hands on standardize test that you can give your child, or find a person to administer to your child. At the grades required:
Quote:
Administer a standardized test to children in grades 2, 4, 8, and 11. Results must show satisfactory progress.

Here is what the South Dakota Ed site states the parents must do:
Quote:
Parent Responsibilities
Complete the form requesting exemption from public school attendance (13-27-2)
Required only up to age 16 (compulsory attendance requirement)
Return the completed from to the school district for school board approval
May not instruct more than 22 students (13-27-3)
No requirement to be certified (13-27-3)
Must test in grades two, four, eight, and eleven (13-27-3)
Test may be monitored by local school district
SAT10 test provided by the Department of Education (not the Dakota STEP test) at no cost
If another test is chosen, it is at the expense of the home school
Results must be sent to the local school district

Now according the the South Dakota ed site it states the school district must do the following:
Quote:
School District Responsibilities
Review and approve the exemption form (SDCL 13-27-7)
Must be done yearly
Once approved, copies of the form must be mailed to the Department of Education and to the location of alternative school (home school)
Track home school students in Student Information Management System (SIMS)
Keep test score records (SDCL 13-27-7)
If students show less than satisfactory academic progress, the school board may refuse to renew the child’s certificate of excuse
Ensure that students are receiving instruction (SDCL 13-27-7 and 13-27-3)
If a student is not being instructed, the school board may immediately revoke the child’s certificate of excuse
Loan textbooks without charge to all persons ages five to nineteen (SDCL 13-34-23)

Also here is the web site with the application to homeschool you have to submit:
http://doe.sd.gov/oatq/accreditation/altinstruction.asp
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://doe.sd.gov/oatq/accreditation/altinstructadminrules.asp

If your child is 6 years old by the first day of September, you're required to homeschool through the entire following school year. You're also required to cover kindergarten, but there's nothing saying you have to wait until age 6 to do that, and most people would cover kindergarten around age 3 or 4. You can stop schooling as soon as your child turns 16.

No teacher certification of any sort is required.

"Submit a notarized application to the local superintendent using the form provided by state department of education. If submitting an application for first time, include certified copy of child's birth certificate or affidavit notarized or witnessed by two or more witnesses, swearing that the child identified on the request for excuse is the same person appearing on the child's birth certificate." I tried to locate a copy of this form online, but the only link I came across no longer works, so I guess you'll have to ask the State Department of Education where to find one. Post here and let us know where when you find out.

Instruction must be provided "as in the public schools, in the basic skills of language arts and mathematics" and "given so as to lead to a mastery of the English language".

You should keep records for "attendance and evidence showing academic progress", as well as a copy of your child's birth certificate (see above). "The secretary of the Department of Education may inspect the records of an alternative education program with fourteen days' written notice if the secretary has probable cause to believe the program is not in compliance", but is limited to inspecting the above.

Grades two, four, eight, and eleven shall take "a nationally standardized achievement test of the basic skills. The test may be the test provided by the state and used in the public school district where the child is instructed or another nationally standardized achievement test... The test may be monitored by the local school district where the child is instructed."

I think that covers everything pretty well. In answer to your question, "progress" is a subjective word, and I imagine means being able to solve more advanced problems as time goes on. As long as you're doing a conscientious job of homeschooling, I doubt you need to worry - it's not you the law was designed for, but rather people trying to skip school by pretending to be homeschoolers. Homeschoolers tend to score grades ahead of their public school counterparts.

YAY! A link to the proper form! Thanks, iamnettie.
isamama
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses. If it looks like I don't have to turn in the results why does the South Dakota Ed list for parents say I do? I've heard some states only have you keep scores for your own information and theirs if they request it.

My only concern on the test results is the fact my dd is ADD and doesn't test well; although, I do give her curricula tests here at home she'll rear up like a spooked horse or stall on the tracks when a test comes up. My ds22 had similar problems, still does, but has overcome good enough to deal with college.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the whole part about "The test may be monitored by the local school district where the child is instructed." That could be interpreted a number of different ways, but since it says "may" instead of "must", and nothing specific is said about where test results should be turned in, you should probably assume that they don't have to be turned in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: