Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschool Name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidzaplenty
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Homeschool Name? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone named their homeschool? I have been considering name ours, but have not yet.

I was homeschooled as a child, and I remember that when I filled out college forms or other applications that called for the name of the school, I was never quite sure what to write.

Plus, if you do, do you just name it yourself, or actually file the name somewhere so it is legal?

Thanks

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put in -Last Name- Homeschool as your school name. No, you don't have to file it with anyone to make it official Smile
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get really creative, "mountain top school" or "school without desks" Have fun.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Homeschool Name? Reply with quote

kidzaplenty wrote:
Plus, if you do, do you just name it yourself, or actually file the name somewhere so it is legal?

In California, we were required to have a name for our school, since we had to file a private school affidavit each year. The first 4 years we were "Freedom Learning Center." The fifth year we named it "Southeast San Diego Christian Academy" 'cuz dds said they couldn't tell people they went to Freedom Learning Center Smile

It is usually recommended that you *not* use your family name as part of your school name. It sounds less professional if you do, and it can help you avoid some minor problems if you don't.

When you name it, imagine your teenage children telling a potential employer what school they graduated from.

Unless you enroll other children and accept money, you don't need to do anything to make it "legal."
robinsegg
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're "Cleft in the Rock Academy". It's after Moses being put in a "cleft in the rock" to protect him from God's glory, so he could see God.
kidzaplenty
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I have been thinking about several names, now I have to just get my husband to "approve" of them? Very Happy

These are on the top of my list:

Zealous Unto Righteousness Academy
ZUR Academy

Yielding Excelent Scholars Homeshooled Under Authority
YESHUA

Fruitful In Righteous Education School
FIRES

Keenly Instructing Noble Generations School
KINGS

Almighty's Life Producing Home Academy
ALPHA

Master's Heritage Home School
MHHS

Mighty Arrows Home School
MAHS

Fruitful Vine Heritage Home School
FVHHS

momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, you are really creative
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: names Reply with quote

i like the mahs--mighty arrows home school Laughing Very Happy
kidzaplenty
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: names Reply with quote

micheller79 wrote:
i like the mahs--mighty arrows home school Laughing Very Happy

My DH just went over our list again, and guess what he likes the best?

Might Arrows Home School! Very Happy

So I guess we have a name!

Randigale
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We named ours. I was going to go with Ohana Hale (pronounced Oh-Ha-Na Ha-Lay) which is Hawaiian for 'Family House'.

We decided to go with Breetan Academy, which is my daughters name, Brianne or Bree, and my sons name, Tanner, combined. The kids really like that because it's all about them. Plus, we were able to buy breetan.com (don't look at it... I need to re-build. LOL) so we all have breetan e-mail addresses.

On paperwork we just use Breetan Academy but secretly, in my heart, I call it- Breetan College Preparatory Academy for Exceptional Children. Very Happy
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides college, is there really any other good reasons for naming your homeschool? Thanks!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On standardized tests you are often required to give your high school name, so it's helpful to have something to fill in there.
kidzaplenty
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention all the applications for jobs or other things that ask "School". That is why I was think it is very important for us. It is much easier, as well as more "professional" looking to have a name rather than just stating "Home School".

Jenlynn4673
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was very helpful. Until an issue arose Tuesday, we were planning to start HS for the 2007-2008 school year and figured we had plenty of time to think about this.
When this issue came up, it was basically the proverbially straw.
So we wanted to do everything with our ducks in a row. Our Principal can be a real, ummm winner <Sarcasm>.
When we sent in our letters of intent and letters requesting transcripts yesterday we felt we had to come up with a name, snap snap. DH and I completely agree with the idea of a name sounding professional and formal. It also keeps A LOT a questions at bay as well from nosey judgmental parents who feel that they better know what and how to raise your child.
So, we came up with “Northern Illinois Center for the Gifted”.

Jen
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I've filled in some form that asks for school name I've just always put [our last name] Family Homeschool. It's never been any kind of problem in 12+ years.

Just recently our oldest got his driver's license and we'd tried to get the best discount on our auto insurance by having him take an approved course. In the end it turned out they wanted to see a high school transcript for him to show that he also gets good grades. Apparently that's an indicator of responsibility in general. Well, he's never really gotten any grades. We are going the totally independent route, as in college-at-home, so we haven't stressed about a transcript. DH argued with the insurance people for weeks to no avail. Finally I downloaded the transcript template from the HSLDA website and filled in the blanks with mostly As and a few Bs anc Cs in the subjects he cares least about. Still no formal name for our school, and we printed the transcript on plain paper with no seal or watermark or anything. It was accepted gratefully and we got the discount.

Ramona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: