Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I homeschool?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cossie
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Should I homeschool? Reply with quote

I am a British mum living in Goa with my Indian husband and our daughter.
My daughter is only 3years old but I have already started looking for a school in which to place her here in Goa.
I have to say,I feel completely disillussioned with what I have found.
Firstly the Indian schools are in most cases understaffed,overcrowded and very militarian.The teachers seem to have an extremely oppressive attitude and I have heard many reports of pupils being hit by teachers and told not to question what they are being taught!
There is very little choice of international schools in our area and the ones I have found are run more as businesses,with high fees and unqualified teachers!
Quite frankly Im not happy about sending my baby to any of these places.
We have very good reasons for living where we do and our lives are rich in so many ways because of the lifestyle we lead here,so for that reason we are not prepared to relocate for the sake of finding a good school.
Hence I am considering homeschooling.
Here are the issues I face however.
- I am only schooled to GCSE standard,I do however have a TEFL qualification so do know a little about teaching.
- My husband is uneducated and although very bright and successful cannot read and write very well.
- Although things are changing,there are very few facilities for children locally eg playareas/gyms,libraries,clubs,sporting facilities.
- I dont know of anyone else in my area who homeschools.
I feel quite confident that I can teach my child myself and I feel happier about the prospect the more I think about it.
I suppose I just need to be told that its ok and the right thing to do and to know that support is out there.
Any feedback would be gratefully recieved and in particular from anyone who lives in India or has similar circumstances.
Many thanks
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it.

My husband only has a high school diploma, and he does almost all of the teaching for my daughter, and she is doing great.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't know if it's wrong for you unless you try it. So I agree with Miyu's "Go for it!"
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Should I homeschool? Reply with quote

cossie wrote:
I suppose I just need to be told that its ok and the right thing to do and to know that support is out there.

It's OK.

Only God can tell you if it's the right thing to do.

Support is out here. Smile

Ramona
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds as if homeschooling is the best way for your child at this juncture.

mark
kyonkers
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say: do homeschool him, seems like is the most appropriate thing to do in your case.
Best wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: