advice please for new hs parents

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

thecrew74
User

advice please for new hs parents

Postby thecrew74 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:36 am

We have made the decision to homeschool both daughters.
Im looking into the curriculum but there is so many out there that Im not sure which to use. I do know I want to have a little bit of text a little bit of CD Rom/video or online computer time with the education material.
Im hoping I can find what I need for a really reasonable price. Does anyone know of some sites other than a becka or alpha omega
Im wanting to find one that will keep the records for us. Im not all to organized and until I get used to doing hs I would rather not have that extra responsibility. Im looking in the price range of $200.00/$500.00 tops. Or maybe something with a payment plan. I was told about heartland but I cant seem to find it online throught yahoo anyone know of this organization
Has anyone used a charter school? I was thinking this might be an even better way for us to go until we become used to the hs life.
I also ran across sylvan learning center which offers tutoring for subjects I was thinkg I could do text book work with the then in the mornings and afternoon could be spent working with the tutor then they would each have one on one with their own tutor. I thought that would be great since I wouldnt be home to help them. Im going to look more into the charter school for my 8 yr old.
Any suggestions
Thank you

dkatiemom
User

What I've done

Postby dkatiemom » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:58 am

I am in the same boat! I'm going to pull my 7 year-old son out of school on Friday, and am going nuts because I haven't yet informed the school and am still trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I didn't think about the record-keeping, because honestly that part doesn't seem so crucial to me. My thoughts were that I would give him the quizzes and tests that come with his curriculum, and just grade those, stick them in a folder, and either move on to the next unit or keep working and reviewing with him until he advances at his own pace.

I think as long as I have all of those graded assignments together, in a safe place, we can just keep moving along at the best pace for him, taking assesment tests along the way if we want to.

I hope I'm not wrong! I really don't think that I am, though. The funny thing is that I am going to homeschool my son because he is falling behind in school, whereas I read so much on this board about those whose children are bored because they are more advanced.

NOW...Curriculum wise, I have read so much from the boards and was very intimidated at first with the concept of creating my own curriculum. How in the world would I be the best judge of what he needs? Then I went to http://www.homeschoolreviews.com, and spent a lot of time reading though the reviews of homeschool parents who detail their own success or failures with all different types of the available programs out there. What a great resource! The reviews are divided by subject and then by product, so you don't have to weed through a bunch of irrelevent material to get right to the curriculum you want to know more about.

I studied the reviews for each subject and then chose the one that looked to be the most outstanding, fun, intensive, etc.

THEN I went to http://www.homeschoolsupercenter.com and got most of the materials. This website truly seemed to have the lowest prices, and believe me when I say that I scoured the internet. These guys even beat used prices on Ebay. The few things I couldn't find there (Math U See), I am scoping out on Ebay auctions.

Let me tell you, I am so excited! I have purchased close to 30 items: books, workbooks, complete kits, teachers guides, the whole shebang...for about $250.00. I feel good because I know that each of these are award winning, top-notch and FUN materials that will hopefully light that fire within my child again.

I wish you luck with everything you are doing for your child, and support you all the way! Should you choose to do what I did, I hope that my comments help. :)

- Katie

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Until you can figure out the route you want to go, Sam's club has a great Language Arts/Math curriculum per grade level. It was under $10. I was surprised about how well it was put together. That way you can start without actually having a program set up yet and can investigate exact which program you want.

From what I have read from the veterans on this board and other boards, homeschooling is a journey. You will try something and either like it or not and then probably switch up the next year to something different.

I am beginning to believe it really isn't the curriculum that helps the HSer learn so much, but rather the one on one with their parents. They are going to learn. If they aren't getting it, YOU will know immediately and alter whichever curriculum you have to fit your child's learning needs.

Good luck to you!

LauraLeigh
User

Postby LauraLeigh » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 pm

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 am

For an overview of curricula and styles for hsing, I recommend So, You're thinking About Homeschooling? by Lisa Whelchel. She's a homeschooling mother of 3, and wrote this book as a conversation with 15 different families who hs differently. It's an easy read and may be available through your local library system.

Also, if you're not familiar with your state's requirements, http://www.hslda.org has a comprehensive list.

I hope this gives you a starting place!

Rachel[/u]
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

elliemaejune
User

Re: advice please for new hs parents

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Return to “Getting Started”