New York, Homeschool, High School

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Randigale
User

New York, Homeschool, High School

Postby Randigale » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:20 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: New York, Homeschool, High School

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:36 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 pm

I'm not in NY, but I've always heard about the strict requirements there.

I am educating my kids the way I want to and merely doing the minimum to comply with state laws. Once my kids are 16 I no longer include them on my NOI each year, I no longer show their portfolios to anyone for state purposes.

If the public schools and/or state dept of ed choose to label my kids dropouts, that's their prerogative. I really couldn't care less.

My kids apply for jobs, colleges, etc. based on my records, not on the public school records. We don't call it dropping out. If anything, my kids are getting more and better ed than they would by "staying" in school.

Ramona

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:43 pm

Once your children have fulfilled the requirements for high school graduation in your state, to your satisfaction, you can then just say that they've graduated and leave it at that. No ceremony or diploma certificate is necessary, though if you want, there are probably homeschool organizations in your state which hold yearly graduation ceremonies and can print you up certificates. But for purposes of getting a job, saying that you've graduated from high school through homeschool is generally enough.

As far as actually proving high school graduation to a potential college, however, that's another matter entirely. Colleges care about individual course grades a lot more than whether you have a paper diploma, and it's generally a good idea to follow up as many subjects as possible with nationally standardized exams (AP, CLEP, DSST) to prove competency. Anything that isn't covered with an exam needs at least a basic portfolio of work, showing how you covered the same material as x course (you can download syllabuses online for this) and can demonstrate mastery.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Randigale
User

Postby Randigale » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:28 am

I didn't realize I could do that.

Just curious- does it irritate anyone else that the state feels the need to watch over us so much but won't give the kids a diploma?

Return to “Getting Started”