Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurie
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

My family and I are brand new to homeschooling. We are in our 3rd week. We have purchased the K12 program. It will start on Nov 7th.

I had always said I was not the type of person to homeschool. I never had anything completely against other then I worried about some kids having social problems or I worried about children whose parents didn't have the skills to be able to teach their children.

That was a long time ago Wink I have met many homeschoolers over the years and realized that the vast majority belong to homeschool groups and/or are involved in many if not more extra activities then their public school counterparts. I also learned over the years that most people who do bring their children home, either have the skills or work hard to learn them because their children are their absolute top priority.

Even learning all this, I still did not feel as if it was an option for me and my family. That was until we moved into a state that is ranked 2nd to last in education. And it seems I placed my children in one of the schools that has caused the state to be ranked so horribly low. Sad I have many educators in my family. So, I know what is required in the PS systems. This school falls so short of those expected standards, it isn't even on the chart.

You quickly learn when there is no other option, you can do anything even those things you thought you would never be able to do.

We have hit our first hurdle this morning. The boys have just realized that Mom is the teacher :lol So, they are thinking their whining might just get them out of work. But we are getting there. I am enjoying it much more then I thought I would. And I have seen such HUGE improvements in my children in just two weeks. Even if we move back to where I would trust the schools again, I doubt I will ever put them back in public school.

I am on another hs board. So, if anyone here is on that one as well. Sorry, if I ask duplicate questions. I just like to have as much information as I possibly can from every angle.

Some info on the family: I am a register nurse who works weekends. I am also on the board of the local Humane Society. My DH is a project manager for a local telecom company. Our children are DS 9, DS 8 and DD 4. The boys enjoy many activities mostly sports related. DD so wants to be a cheerleader or anything girlie... ie ice skater, ballerina, princess, makeup queen :lol
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! It takes alot of courage to do what you did, you obviously love your children a whole bunch. I can't say that the whining ever really goes away. Just give them lots of choices, and when they tell you they don't wnat to, say "I'm sorry to hear that, because you have to do it anyway." Laughing God bless!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading your posts!
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weclome! I just began homeschooling my two ds's (9 and 7) back in September. You are starting an amazing journey!

Alisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: