Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Librarian needs help serving homeschoolers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatsuzygirl
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Librarian needs help serving homeschoolers! Reply with quote

Hello!
My name is Suzy and I am a librarian at a medium sized public library. We have many homeschooling families at our library and I have been trying to think of ways my library can better serve these families.
Can you give me your wishlist for your public library? No wishes too big or too small. For instance, I know that a lot of families appreciate being able to come to my library to use the private study rooms. A clean, quiet place away from the distractions of home. They also like using our interlibrary loan system to get books we don't carry.
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
Suzy
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: High school / college syllabuses and textbooks would be... Reply with quote

Probably the most useful thing you could do would be put together a collection of high school / college syllabuses and textbooks. It's often quite expensive to buy even used college textbooks, and locating syllabuses for some subjects can also be difficult.
thatsuzygirl
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Theodore! Feel free to add more suggestions as you think of them!
Suzy
SOPHIE
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Homeschoolers with the library Reply with quote

Perhaps a reading or writing club might be of interest to them.
ccmmum
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I especially liked at the library where used to live were activities for school aged children. For example, the libriaian would read a selection from a Little house book and then there were activities to go along with it.
Honestly, the attitude of the librian is the most important thing. Some can't be bothered to help you but those that go out of their way to help you find the right book are priceless!
thatsuzygirl
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! Those types of programs are sooo fun to put on!
Smile
Suzy
nep
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just beginning to homeschool, so I am addressing the issue of which reading/phonics programs to use, and looking for first primers. Several programs are contained ina single book- alphaphonics, comes to mind-- and i would love if libraries carried several of these so a parent could glean from them and decide which to purchase if it became necessary rather than random choosing or trial and error. Also, making accesible truly phonics based readers, such as , Bob Books, would be so wonderful to be able to check out as kids go through them relatively fast and are on to the next phase before one knows it.

Some ideas that came to mind, at least,
nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: