HS high school credits

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

HS high school credits

Postby monicapantoja » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:02 am

I am going to begin hs my 2 teenagers, 9th and 10th grade, Jan. 9. I have done my research on laws, curriculum, support groups, etc. My only problem is how do my high schoolers advance to the next grade level?, how do they graduate?, and if they decide to return to public school later, how are they recognized in their then current grade level as far as credits go; since our public high school works on a credit system to recognize grade level? Please help if anyone knows these answers!!!

Homeschoolers advance when they think they're ready...

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Homeschoolers don't follow grade levels as rigidly as the public school system. You can stay at the minimum necessary level in all core subjects, while heavily emphasizing those areas that your child is good at or enjoys. Sadly, however, if your child then tries to re-enter the school system after homeschooling for a while, he will likely be placed at the lowest grade level for any subject, rather than graded individually for each subject and placed accordingly. You'll want to check with your school and find out what their policy is for reentry.

As for graduation from high school, you just "award" your child a diploma when you feel he has sufficiently completed all the high school graduation requirements for your state. It's best to back this up by having him take nationally standardized tests (CLEP, AP, or DANTES) in all core subjects, since this gives colleges an easy benchmark for comparison against other applicants. Colleges like homeschoolers, but they don't like having to wade through hundreds of pages of material to get an idea of where your child is. A short list of high test scores is always going to be best for getting in, and will often gain your child some college credit as well - up to a year or two of credit at some colleges.
Last edited by Theodore on Sun May 07, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keeping Credits

Postby easyhomeschooling » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:46 pm

The only thing really different about high school is that now you or your child will keep track of each and every hour spent on any and all activities. Cleaning, cooking, washing vehicles, teaching a little sister, writing a term paper—all activities are recorded. Even the most ordinary activity will be credited to “Life Skillsâ€
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!

Return to “High School / College Prep”