Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschooling more than one child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l5hill
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Homeschooling more than one child Reply with quote

How do you teach two children at the same time? I have a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old that I just took out of public school. My 6 yr old is advanced. I want both of my children to learn without being held back or going over their heads. Any help would be appreciated.
karenc.
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: teaching more than one child Reply with quote

You might try unit studies, I used those alot when our children were little,they each also did A/O workbooks on there level,For unit studies we did science, art, music, health, and history for holidays, it worked for us. Hope this will help, karen.
l5hill
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Unit Studies Reply with quote

I keep hearing about unit studies, but I just don't understand what they are. I am not a stupid person, but I am just not grasping it. Could someone explain it?
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Read the articles by Jessica Hulcy for info on unit studies: Reply with quote

Jessica Hulcy is considered the expert on unit studies, and you can get an idea of what unit studies are all about by reading her articles:

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/#Hulcy

Basically, unit studies are a focus on topics rather than educational subjects. For instance, you might have a unit study on Rome that covered language, government, architecture, important historical events, etc, but the primary focus would be on Rome, not any specific academic subject. This makes it easy to teach children of differing educational levels using the same materials, since it's Rome for all, even if one person plays the orator and another a common soldier (togas are fun, but cardboard swords and shields are better!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: