Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16 YR OLD WHO NEEDS HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUMBOMAN123
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: 16 YR OLD WHO NEEDS HELP Reply with quote

OK SO HERES MY DEAL IM CURRENTLY GOING INTO THE 9TH GRADE FOR THE 3RD TIME. THE FIRST TIME I WAS WITHDRAWN WAS 2 WKS BEFORE SCHOOL LET OUT AND I WAS GOING TO BE HOMESCHOOLED THROUGH ABEKA OR SOMETHING BUT THAT PLAN WAS RUINED THE SECOND TIME I WAS BLAMED FOR SOMETHING I DIDNT DO AND SENT TO A COMUNITY SCHOOL AND I WASNT PUT IN THE CLASSES I NEEDED TO BE PUT IN SO I TOOK THE BLAME AGAIN FOR SOMETHING MY FRIEND DID SO I COULD BE KICKED OUT. SO NOW IM ABOUT TO GET REGISTERED AGAIN INTO PUBLIC SCHOOL AND IVE BEEN READING ON THIS WEBSITE OR ANOTHER ON GETTING STARTED, IT SAYS ON ONE OF THE TOPICS THAT I CAN BASICALY DO IT FOR FREE USING PBS PROGRAMS AND INTERNET AND ALL, IF ANY ONE HAS ANY THING ON HOW TO START THIS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BECAUSE IM GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT ALL.
ALSO I DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO PUBLIC SCHOOL B/C IM JUST GOING TO DROP OUT IN NOV. WHEN I TURN 17 AND JUST START WORKING IM WORKING NOW AND MAKING 9 AN HR ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED THNX IN ADVANCE
WissNX-01
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there are other things going on here. I was once in High School, and wasnt the best student and didnt always keep my nose clean, so I see much more than what your telling us.

First, it sounds like your hanging out with the wrong crowd. If your getting 'blamed' for something someone else is doing, then your part of a larger group that is up to no good. Remove yourself from the situation and you will see the problems go away for the most part. This may solve your other problems like your lack of interest in bettering yourself and actually learning something. High School is filled with stuff that turns out useless later in life, but it is a foundation in which your instructors are trying to get you to expand on. It is up to you what kind of success you will have with what you know.

Homeschooling may be an option, but if your unsupervised, I dont see how your going to motivate yourself to get anything accomplished. I dont know where you live, but give this a shot: Talk to your parents and teachers. You might not believe this, but your parents have a great desire to see you succeed. With that, you can go to your teachers and come up with specialized solutions. They also want to see you succeed in life.

No matter what happens, dont ever consider dropping out. It is the worst thing you could do. You will close doors on yourself if you do. A GED isnt a solution either, as its not a real substitute for an education. Making 9 bucks an hour as a 16 year old is great, but consider the fact that you could be making 9 dollars an hour when your 32 because you dont have the education to get anywhere.

The key here is:

1. Get rid of stupid friends
2. Talk to your parents
3. Talk to your educators
4. Get focused
nep
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Well, I will try and keep to topic here. I don't know you or your situation. I agree about dumping the friends myself, but that is your choice. I do wonder what your parents have been doing during all this- I mean- really?? But you are old enough now where one can't blame them anymore and you have to take responsibilty for your own actions and choices now- and that means taking the blame too- you aren't a 'kid' for much longer.

Anyhow, to try and not get sidetracked here, I'm glad you are thinking of trying to do school even if public school does not work. Something in you must see that learning is important. Why not do a highschool diploma correspondance course? Usually the pace is set by you- so you can get through it more quickly than regular school, and you will get a diploma in the end and be prepared to take a college prep test even- so if later in life you decide to go to college you can with out having to start over. You might not be interested now, but who knows what you might feel like then. I for one, wish I had taken my SAT or ACT, but it wasn't important to me then. But even if you don't do that but have your GED or a diploma, community college is always an option. So many jobs base pay on education even if it is a job where they shouldn't, so consider where you want your life to go beyond tomorrow- it can happen- you are capable of getting there.

nep
Happyteen
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try homeschooling through American School out of Lansing, IL. You can google it. It cost about 900.00+ for 4 years of H.s BUT IT IS WORTH IT TRUST ME!
Lkat83
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might read The Teenage Liberation Handbook. It's directed to teens who don't want to attend regular school. Your library might have a copy.

There are also different virtual school options available, depending on what state you live in. Some are free, others cost money.

Whatever you do, it sounds like you need a new group of friends. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: