homeschooling and profession

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Kidsdoc
User

homeschooling and profession

Postby Kidsdoc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Hello all,

I know you must get tired of us Newbies to homeschooling asking the same redundant questions...but I was hoping that this topic hasnt been burned to a crisp. I am looking to begin "officially" homeschooling my three kids (7, 6 and 3) next fall. I am a practicing pediatrician and work 2 days a week at night. I will be cutting work down to one day a week. My husband is home when I am not. I feel the calling for both being a homeschool mom and continuing my ministry as a pediatrician in some capacity. My way of practicing won't be a traditional way. God is revealing that as we go along. I have been doing endless reading on Homeschooling (and I told God I would never do it :lol:) and am sold on the benefits. Inaddition, I am a former classroom teacher and obtained my masters in elementary education also, so I also understand first hand the challenges of being a classroom with 20+ kids and managing them. When I left teaching to pursue a medical career, I remember saying that if I ever teach again that I want to pick my own class. Well....here I am.

My issue is not curriculum, planning or ideal scheduling. I guess that will come in time.

But, are there other ladies out there who balance a homeschooling, the home and a profession?

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:55 pm

So far, I am handling it well enough. I work weekends as the RN supervisor at a local nursing home. Through out the week, we homeschool. DH is home on the weekends and tries to fill in the gaps. My biggest challenge is keeping up with the housekeeping, errands, and shopping. I usually leave many lists for DH to finish up. He is pretty good about helping out. He just won't do any hardcore cleaning (floors, toilets, moving things to clean behind them, etc.)

We are only in our 2 month of homeschooling. So, I do not have as much experience as some others. may have. I also do not have to be on-call as I am considered part-time and the full-time RNs fill that role.

Welcome to the boards and good luck on your decision. So far, it has definately been worth it for our family!

Kidsdoc
User

Postby Kidsdoc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks Aurie for your reply. I fortunately do not have to take call. I work in a pediatric ER which works out well. My time is my time. No pages....I dont even know if my pager has batteries :roll:

dragonfly183
User

Postby dragonfly183 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:25 pm

I know a lot of homeschoolers that work at home. I also work at home. Since mot the work available for telecommuters with no real computer skills is of the adult nature though it doesn't work out for everyone.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:16 pm

I am a full time college student and I work for the business my husband and I own in addition to homeschooling two boys. Time is short here but it is possible to pursue your own interests/career in addition to homeschooling.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”