Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for reading list suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use

Bookadventure.com

It's free. I will help you pick out a book according to reading level and subjects of interest.

It has comprehension quizzes too.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
I like to use

Bookadventure.com

I second that. My daughter enjoys it too, but I also like out of print books they don't list.

Here is a great resource also:
http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seekingmyLord wrote:
StellarStory wrote:
I like to use

Bookadventure.com

I second that. My daughter enjoys it too, but I also like out of print books they don't list.

Here is a great resource also:
http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

Thanks to both of you. It looks like we'll be able to make use of these.
Gotta love FREE stuff!!!!
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my personal favorites...

For lower elementary:
Crysanthemum (**great for grades 1-2!)
A Year Down Yonder
A Long Way From Chicago
Courage of Sarah Noble
Cam Jansen series
Daisy-head Mayzie
Magic Tree House series

For upper elementary:
BFG (** great for grades 3-5!)
Birchbark House
Black Beauty
Brian's Winter (** great for grades 3-6!)
Sideways Stories from Wayside School
Breadwinner
Hatchet (** prequel to 'Brian's Winter')
Bridge to Terabithia (** this is a movie, too)
Bunnicula
Castle in the Attic
Children of the Wild West
Children of the Longhouse
Classroom at the End of the Hall
Bud, Not Buddy
Because of Winn Dixie (** great for grades 3-5!) (** AWARD-WINNING)
In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
House of Dies Drear
Number the Stars (** great for grades 3-6!)
Rascal
Sacajawea
Shiloh
Trumpet of the Swan
Chronicles of Narnia (**great for grades 5-6!) (** this is a movie, too!)

Teens:
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Eragon (** great for young teens!)
Eldest (** sequel to 'Eragon')
Lord of the Rings (** this is a movie, too!)
Lord of the Flies (** great for teens!)
A Wrinkle in Time
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Call of the Wild
White Fang
My Brother Sam is Dead
Outsiders
Little Women (** great for grades 8-11!) (** CLASSIC)
Pearl
Of Mice and Men
Scarlet Letter
Romeo and Juliet (** great for older teens!)
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Wuthering Heights

Last edited by Morgan on Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're getting into the subject of books for older children, there are simply too many to list Smile Heinlein, for instance, wrote all sorts of great books. One of my all-time favorites is Tunnel in the Sky. Beware of stobor!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great list Morgan!

Heinlein was fab for me as a teen and as an adult!
akhanley
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some modern books that would be good for your children's age range are Eragon and I Am David. In my opinion, I Am David, is quickly becoming a literary classic. Anne Holm does an excellent job of depicting the struggles of those who emerge from concentration camps. You can also find websites that feature teacher question prompts for the book.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Lord of the Rings would be on top of my list. I know someone who wrote a whole curriculum on that book. I have never used it but looked at it and it was interesting. I also have in my older child's reading list this year: The Scarlet Letter, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, some Mark Twain, along with some others but I am still picking those out.

I recommend the book My Side of the Mountain if you haven't already read it.
milehimom
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading aloud to my children (2nd, 3rd and 5th grader) The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. THEY LOVED IT. Once we were about 5 chapters into the book, they were so into it they would BEG me to read more each time. IN the final chapters it was so exciting that we sometimes read for 40 minutes at a time. This morning I read for one hour in order to finish the book. I had to hide the book last night when my husband and I left them with a sitter, I was afraid they'd read the end without me!

I'd say it's a upper level 6th grade reader for independent reading, maybe even 7th grade. THe vocabulary is very challenging. I often substituted easier words for some I'd come across while reading, just to be sure my 2nd grader was able to follow.

We've been studying Explorers of the 15th and 16th centuries, so this book about a girl on a ship traveling across the Atlantic really helped our studies come to life. THere's a diagram of the ship in the back of the book so the kids learned many parts of a boat in order to follow the story. The kids made lots of connections with the events of this story, with some events we read about in the explorers lives (mutiny, harsh captains, horrible food and water, etc.)
BucherHund
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Great site for book lists and reviews Reply with quote

One site I like to use is www.bookangles.com. It's a free service by a homeschooling family. They have some lists of favorite books by age category and they also have detailed reviews of many books so you can quickly see for yourself if a book fits your family's values and seems right for your child. That saves a lot of time-- I can't read everything before my children do-- they are avid readers! It's all written from a Christian worldview, which, imo, makes it a lot more useful to me than a general book review site. ( Note: You really have to register to get the most useful info but they don't do anything with the info you provide (just name and e-mail)-- they just want to protect children from seeing some of the commentary which might include bad language, immoral content and the like so they have parents register and use a password.)
Donald James Parker
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Some suggestions Reply with quote

Some of the finest books I have run across are not well known and are currently in the public domain. I have written a software application to read such books. Authors that grabbed me in the process are Frances Hodgson Burnett and Gene Stratton Porter. They both have titles many will recognize. Secret Garden, The Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy - for Burnett. She compiled some of the finest kids books in that list but some of her other work is great too. Porter wrote Girl of the Limberlost, Freckles and many others. You can't go wrong with these two.
In the comptemporary world - for fantasy books - Bryan Davis has written several Christian fantasies.
I loved to read as a kid and I try to encourage kids to dig into the written word. My favorite phrase is He who won't read good books is no better off than he who can't. Another computer phrase works in this situation too - garbage in - garbage out. The content of the books read is extremely important to nurture young spirits (and old ones too).
mark_egp
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Every Good Book Reply with quote

I've combined the various book lists we've accumulated over 10 years of homeschooling, and put them in searchable/sortable lists on this website:
http://www.everygoodbook.com
Glottis
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
There are piles of classics and fun books you could try. Here's a few to get you started, in no particular order:

Swiss Family Robinson
Island of the Blue Dolphin
Where the Red Fern Grows
Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Wheel on the School
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Borrowers
The Railway Children
Hardy Boys
Pippi Longstocking
Freddy the Pig (we sell these, if your library doesn't have them)
Tintin (one of the best comic book series ever)

brings back memories... very nice list to get the kids to enjoy reading! i enjoyed reading the jungle book as a kid... pretty sure 'the kids of today' will love it too... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Reading, Writing, Language Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: