9th grader wondering about homeschooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Wren
User

9th grader wondering about homeschooling

Postby Wren » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:10 pm

hi, my name's wren and i'm almost 15 years old. My mom has very negative opinions about public schools and has been thinking about maybe
homeschooling my 13 year-old brother because he's smart and in advanced classes but is doing bad in school academically and is not wanting to go to school. She mainly worried about it because she has ADD and depression and does not yet have a college degree.
I was in the same situation as my brother last year and narrowly escaped flunking 8th grade. i'm trying to learn as much about homeschooling as I can so i can persuade my mom into considering homeschooling my brother and me next year and i was also wondering if it's even worth it to start being homeschooled if i only would have about 2 or 3 years of highschool left. i'm also really worried about my classes and if i'll get the same quality of education because i plan to go to college. Really any advice would be good because i hardly know anything about it.
Thanks, a very unsure wren

karenc.
User

Homeschooling

Postby karenc. » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:25 am

Wren,
First of all let me say GOOD FOR YOU... Your taking the first step, to help is a great idea. Your Mom does not need a college degree to homeschool you and your brother. I home schooled our 3 children and I didn't have one. Also there is lots of information out there on the web to help her get started, like this web site. As for only having a year or three left you can still be homeschooled and go to college, my kids have. Ask all the questions you need and have MOM ask too. We'll all help as much as we can. Prayers and Blessing to you all. Karenc.

Mom
User

Postby Mom » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Check with your local community college, too - often they have supplemental classes for homeschoolers. The students tend to be more mature, the work is not dumbed down, the professors are usually great, and your mom won't have to worry about her level of knowledge.

Return to “Getting Started”