Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do when moving to another state?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: What to do when moving to another state? Reply with quote

We are currently living in Memphis, TN. We had intended on starting to homeschool our son the 2008-2009 school year. Due to some unexpected circumstances we will be moving to Kansas City, MO and start homeschooling him this school year. I know that TN requires you to file an intent to homeschool form by Aug. 1st. We are making a new start in our lives when we move to MO. DH will have to find a job when we get there so we won't have anywhere to stay for a while but a hotel. In other words we won't have an address to file the form. With school starting in a few weeks we didn't know which state to file the form to legally homeschool our 2nd grader.

Any helpful advice would be very appreciated. Smile
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're still officially residents of TN until you change your address to MO, so you'll need to file for TN.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you come to KC let me know. WE live in KC! Homeschooling is SOOOOO easy here in Missouri!!
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I think you're still officially residents of TN until you change your address to MO, so you'll need to file for TN.

What happens if I don't get it sent by Aug.1st?

iamnettie wrote:
When you come to KC let me know. WE live in KC! Homeschooling is SOOOOO easy here in Missouri!!

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that. We don't know anyone there and it will be good to get some feedback. Pray that all goes smooth for us once we get there. We don't know where we are going once we get there. We will be starting a brand new life.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is not legal advice, but were *I* in your position, I wouldn't file a notice of intent in TN. And you don't have to file anything in MO, so no worries there.

Here's HSLDA's information on MO:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Missouri.pdf
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:
Well, this is not legal advice, but were *I* in your position, I wouldn't file a notice of intent in TN. And you don't have to file anything in MO, so no worries there.

Thanks for the link. Question: If my son has already been going to school in TN, won't they be looking for him to be registered somewhere so that it won't look like he's not in school(Just wondering since his school records won't be transferring anywhere.)?
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your public school and ask for his records tell them you are moving to Missouri and would like to take your records in hand so you can get him all set up in his new school (they don't need to know what school or anything). I know when I taught public school in Missouri we had a family move up from Louisiana and they just brought a copy of their kids records with them since at the time of the move they did not know where they were going to end up in Missouri.

Can't wait till you get to KC...you will love it!!! Personally I recommend living in KCMO and north of the river. It is nicer then downtown and cheaper then way down south. But that is a personal oppion, since i live north of the river.
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamnettie wrote:
Go to your public school and ask for his records tell them you are moving to Missouri and would like to take your records in hand so you can get him all set up in his new school (they don't need to know what school or anything).

I have my son's IEP and his report cards. Will they have anything different in his school file or are you suggesting this so they won't question why he's not coming back to school?

iamnettie wrote:
Can't wait till you get to KC...you will love it!!! Personally I recommend living in KCMO and north of the river. It is nicer then downtown and cheaper then way down south. But that is a personal oppion, since i live north of the river.

Sounds like a beautiful place Smile I can't wait to see it. Hope we run into some friendly faces once we get there. We asks lots of questions so we know how to get to places.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes Family wrote:
I have my son's IEP and his report cards. Will they have anything different in his school file or are you suggesting this so they won't question why he's not coming back to school?

My reason for saying that is to get them to deenrole him (if that is even a term) from their school system. Yes your son will have a school file with any state records, like state testing. Also it will have attendance and any notes that teachers have put into his permanent file.
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamnettie wrote:

My reason for saying that is to get them to deenrole him (if that is even a term) from their school system. Yes your son will have a school file with any state records, like state testing. Also it will have attendance and any notes that teachers have put into his permanent file.

Oh I see what you mean (disenroll)Wink Makes lots of sense. Thanks for telling me that.
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to some redundant or anything. Embarassed If I'm understanding correctly: once I get my DS's school records from the school and move to KC, MO I won't have to file anything in MO for homeschooling him since he's never been in a public school up there. Am I right?
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! Double post.

Last edited by Rhodes Family on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamnettie wrote:
Rhodes Family wrote:

Here's a problem I ran into this morning. My husband called the school to ask when would be a good time for us to come up there to pick up my son's school records. He said the lady in the office was acting like she didn't want to tell him anything. She asked our son's name and what school he would be going to in Kansas City, MO. My husband told her we didn't know that since we have not left to go to Kansas City yet. She said they have to follow precedure and could not give us his records. She also said they needed to notify the new school he would be attending themselves so they would know that he is coming. He said "we're his parents and should have a right to those records, and they it would be easier and quicker for us to hand deliver them ourselves." She kept talking about having to follow a precedure and said they could only give us a copy of the school records they have on file, but we had to wait until next Friday to get them because they are busy getting ready for registration which is on next Tuesday. She also said the lady who is authorized to do it would not be available to do it until Friday.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes Family wrote:
iamnettie wrote:
Rhodes Family wrote:

Here's a problem I ran into this morning. My husband called the school to ask when would be a good time for us to come up there to pick up my son's school records. He said the lady in the office was acting like she didn't want to tell him anything. She asked our son's name and what school he would be going to in Kansas City, MO. My husband told her we didn't know that since we have not left to go to Kansas City yet. She said they have to follow precedure and could not give us his records. She also said they needed to notify the new school he would be attending themselves so they would know that he is coming. He said "we're his parents and should have a right to those records, and they it would be easier and quicker for us to hand deliver them ourselves." She kept talking about having to follow a precedure and said they could only give us a copy of the school records they have on file, but we had to wait until next Friday to get them because they are busy getting ready for registration which is on next Tuesday. She also said the lady who is authorized to do it would not be available to do it until Friday.

Federal law says parents are entitled to review their dc's records (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html--Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The law says in part, "Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies."

IOW, it looks to me as if you may *review* your dc's records, but you don't have a right to hold them in your hand and take them with you.

All you really need to say is that you're moving out of state, and that your dc's new school will be requesting his records. If you can get them to make copies, that would be cool, but it isn't that big a deal (as long as your dc is under high school age; if he were older, you'd need transcripts).

You can start your own cum file. It won't be necessary unless your dc ever goes to school, but it's good to be prepared in case that happens in the future.
Rhodes Family
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

Federal law says parents are entitled to review their dc's records (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html--Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The law says in part, "Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies."

IOW, it looks to me as if you may *review* your dc's records, but you don't have a right to hold them in your hand and take them with you.

All you really need to say is that you're moving out of state, and that your dc's new school will be requesting his records. If you can get them to make copies, that would be cool, but it isn't that big a deal (as long as your dc is under high school age; if he were older, you'd need transcripts).

You can start your own cum file. It won't be necessary unless your dc ever goes to school, but it's good to be prepared in case that happens in the future.

Thanks for the link.
So basically what imanettie suggested is not going to work in this case for me. I don't know how to go about all this now. Aug. 1st has past and school registration is on Aug. 7th. They are still going to try to ask what school he will be transferring to. I don't want to deal with them getting all bent out of shape because they are losing a special needs child from their school to homeschooling (which is allowing for them to get more government money).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: