Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paranoid? Maybe the NEA really is out to get us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Paranoid? Maybe the NEA really is out to get us! Reply with quote

The National Education Association (NEA) is considered one of the largest and most powerful unions in the United States and it has been known to act outside of its scope upon occasion.

For instance, home schools are mentioned in their resolutions.... One has to question why the NEA, a teachers union,--an non-elected, non-government entity whose purpose is to improve the quality of teachers jobs NOT to regulate education (it is not the US Department of Education nor the local school board)--has any right whatsoever to try to regulate homeschoolers.

This is in the NEA resolutions:

Quote:
B-75 Home Schooling The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used. The Association also believes that home-schooled students should not participate in any extracurricular activities in the public schools. The Association further believes that local public school systems should have the authority to determine grade placement and/or credits earned toward graduation for students entering or re-entering the public school setting from a home school setting. (1988, 2006)

In addition, the NEA supports abortions through the guise of education. If anything, the NEA should be politically silent on the issue altogether and not financially supportive of any stand on abortion, but that is not what it is doing.

Ohio Teacher Doesn't Have to Pay Union Dues Over Abortion Stance
Quote:
Columbus, OH (LifeNews.com) -- An Ohio teacher is delighted following a federal district court ruling that requiring her to pay dues to the National Education Association is a violation of her First Amendment Rights. She sued to stop being forced to fund the organization because her money would be used to promote abortion....

Pro-Lifers Make Impact at NEA Teacher Convention
Quote:
Philadelphia, Jul 3, 2007 / 10:15 am (CNA).- Seventy-five people, including teachers and students as young as eight years old, picketed the NEA convention in Philadelphia July 1.

Many NEA delegates openly expressed disbelief, skepticism and shock at the revelation that their union was involved in pro-abortion advocacy.

They seemed unaware of NEA's longstanding Family Planning Resolution, which supports "reproductive freedom" and "all methods of family planning", including abortion. They also seemed unaware that NEA is one of Planned Parenthood's primary advocates and had co-sponsored large pro-abortion rallies in Washington in 2004, 1992, and 1989....

"We joined NEA for collective bargaining representation; not to be misrepresented on socio-political or moral issues like abortion, homosexuality, or who to vote for,” said Bob Pawson, national coordinator of PLEAS and an NEA member.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of teachers don't like teacher's unions, since they rarely act in the best interests of the student, and lobby (as you stated) in ways that their membership may not agree with. The primary focus of a large union like the NEA is always power and keeping union revenue as high as possible, never on improving things for anyone but themselves. Teacher's unions have been instrumental in blocking results-based bonuses, teacher competency testing, school vouchers, etc. - basically anything that might cause public schools to identify the weakest teachers and reward the strongest.

Anyhow, nice to see that there's now a precedent showing that teachers don't have to pay NEA dues. I'm all for unions and collective bargaining, but only when membership is voluntary. The second you start blocking non-union members from working, you've basically declared a monopoly in your workplace, and that should (in my opinion) be illegal. Apparently the federal court agrees.

Last edited by Theodore on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if there will be a significant number of teachers who will be leaving the NEA now that this precedent is set.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught in the public school they paid our dues to the state level program, becuase by joining you ended up with your retirment fund.

Personally the day the NEA tries to tell me how to teach my children in my home is the day they get to see my middle finger. NO GROUP like the NEA should have a say in what goes on inside the walls of my home.

I hope lots of teachers will pull their support now that the court has said they do not have to belong.
ScottHughes
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the NEA can say what they want homeschoolers to do, but homeschoolers are not compelled to follow. Anyone can say what they want other people to do. Is it any surprise that the NEA is concerned about homeschoolers? If every child was homeschooled, the NEA would be out-of-business.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, but the NEA is also a very strong lobbying organization, and what they say often turns out to be what people are forced to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: