How do I get them into History?

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:17 pm

I used to wonder why the Little House TV show was so different from the books. It turns out it was based more on her life than on her books.

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:43 pm

I tried watching some of that, couldn't stand the guy they had playing the dad. A pity - I love the books.

TheAssistant
User

Postby TheAssistant » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 pm

This is a pretty old thread, I know, but I thought I'd add my two cents in case someone comes along with the same question. :) I'd suggest looking around the websites of big museums like the American Museum of Natural History, the Smithsonian, and sites like National Geographic and History. There are tons of games, activities, videos, virtual field trips, and photo galleries to be found, and they're great for kids who want something a little more interactive. :)

Munchie33
User

Postby Munchie33 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:58 am

Our lessons are based on a mixture of the "World History" curriculum here http://worldhistoryforusall.sdsu.edu/shared/units.php and the curriculum set out from a series of school textbooks. To keep it interesting, we do history as a part of other subjects (for example, in art we have to learn about what a historical period was like to understand how it influenced the development of a particular style).

Probably his favourite part, though, is the Horrible History books. We have about twenty (there are over fifty in the series) which he reads and re-reads, and they act as the prime motivation for his learning in the subject. I really reccomend these books to any children who are becoming bored with history.

Return to “History”