Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparing For and Surviving Adolescence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BostonMom
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Preparing For and Surviving Adolescence Reply with quote

Shocked
Wow our wonderfully compliant eleven year old has suddenly morphed into a shapely young lady with a will of her own. She has no clue why boys are looking at her and is a bit uncomfortable with the changes occuring. I know that the hormones will kick into overdrive soon and we will have challenges to face. She is not rebellious or disrespectful, but I am beginning to see the tell tell signs of adolesence approaching.
I simply do not buy into the attitude that their poor behavior is ok because of their age. Anyone else feel this way and maybe some tips on how to survive this often turbulent time?
Tim
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very clear to her as to whyu she may be feeling different. Also start giving her more responsibility, and choices, in her life. Make her feel as if she is a very important part of the family. Tell others you are proud of her in front of her. These are things that can help make the transition easier. Most importantly, talk to her, and ask her what she thinks, as even more important, opologize when you are wrong, that way it will be easier for her to talk to you, if she knows your not perfect.
hannk
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this awkward when my daughter got to that age. As she was at home she did was not able to ask the usual questions about the changes in her body to anyone but me. I found a great interactive CD Rom called "Growing up and keeping safe" which helped her deal with lots of teen issues like puberty and understanding her body and feelings. Its a great tool for anyone homeschooling. Worth checking out website.
www.sensecds.com
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Be very clear to her as to whyu she may be feeling different. Also start giving her more responsibility, and choices, in her life. Make her feel as if she is a very important part of the family. Tell others you are proud of her in front of her. These are things that can help make the transition easier. Most importantly, talk to her, and ask her what she thinks, as even more important, opologize when you are wrong, that way it will be easier for her to talk to you, if she knows your not perfect.

I think this advice is spot on.

My kids are now 16 and 14. I do think you can expect some behavior that is not what you, or for that matter, your child will be happy about. People aren't perfect.

It's important to forgive them, hug them, let them you understand what they are going through to a point.

We started having family meetings around this time so the kids could speak and feel heard plus have clear input into some of the family decisions.

You will hear nightmares about how terrible kids this age are. They really don't have to be, if they feel loved, supported, heard and if they've already been show good coping mechanisms for when they are angry or highly emotional for any reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Suggest a Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: