Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illinois Public School Mom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JansMom
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Illinois Public School Mom Reply with quote

Hey, all. I'm a single mom of a 7 year old son (his b-day is tomorrow). His name is Jander and is totally full of life with a strong personality of his own.

I decided to check homeschooling as a way to compenstate his public schooling and help him be interested in school. He is in first grade and already hates it...hated it last year, too. Most of his problems stem from social issues and his need for what he does to be perfect (although he could really careless about his work)...odd combination I know. He is a detail person...he knows how something is suppose to be and if its not he gets really pissed off or just gives up.

He is reading at nearly a 3rd grade level and doing well in all his classes. He has a fantastic imagination and is very creative. He would prefer spending all day playing games, watching TV, doing art projects and going places like the theatre (and I'm hoping museums this summer).

Guess I'm looking to see what I can do with as after school projects, weekends and summertime. I can't stand his school (they treat you like your some idiot who has no clue on how to raise kids), but I don't have the time or resources to homeschool him...besides we buttheads alot as it is...he is definitely mommy's little boy.

I'm just hoping maybe parents who homeschool will have some ideas, advice and understanding of what I'm trying to do. I've tried parents groups at yahoo and such...even started and ended my own...just seemed like people where more interested in discussing their latest date. I got more information from the kids and teenagers who left topics than I did the parents.

Well, better ends this before it becomes a novel.
Later,
Dawn
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Illinois Public School Mom Reply with quote

Well, there are a number of games he can play which will teach him mental math - for instance, Muggins, Yahtzee, Barnum Quartermile - and since he likes art, you might get him some books / DVDs on drawing / panting. You might also look into using the Unit Study approach to teach him various subjects:

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/#Hulcy
http://www.home-school.com/Articles/JessicaCostumes.html

The Unit Study approach basically involves relating several subjects to a single topic and playacting your way through them. For instance, Rome might link to Latin and Greek, architecture, literature (by way of Shakespeare's plays), strategic warfare, etc. - and almost any other subject could be brought in if you're creative enough Smile
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you near Chicago? There's a ton of fun activities if you know where to look. Smile
alisarussell
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your son sounds alot like my son. John is 6 (will be 7 in August). He's not reading at quite as high a grade level, but is reading well considering he is a young 1st grader. He likes to learn, but does not like school because he is very particular about his work which results in alot of unfinished classwork. His teacher says he is not organized and does not have good study skills, but is academically catching on to what he needs for 1st grade except for his handwriting. She thinks he has unresolved issues from our move (We moved to Michigan a year ago from South Carolina.) He has told us he is frustrated with the lack of time he has in class. He also is smaller than most of his classmates and wears glasses. My husband and I are looking into homeschooling because we think he would benefit from one-on-one learning. (I stay at home right now.) In answer to your question though, taking him to museums, historical places is a great idea to foster learning. We have joined the Detroit Science Museum and are planning to join Greenfield Village where I'm going to take my kids (John's older brother is 9) alot this summer. Have you heard about Study Island on the Internet? It fosters all kinds of academic skills by grade level. Both of my boys really enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Guestbook All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: