Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juststephanie
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: what to do? Reply with quote

i have a 6 year old daughter i homeschooled last year, for her kindergarten year, with a k12 curriculum. this year we thought we would try 1st grade in the public school system. she started her year in november and now she wants to homeschool again. i'm willing to finish the year off with her. i just don't know how, or if it's possible, to do this. i'm between a rock and a hard place.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: What is the difficulty? Reply with quote

What, specifically, is the difficulty? Is the problem finding a good 1st grade curriculum? Or finding out what to do to fulfill the legal requirements for homeschooling in your state? Or do you feel you don't have enough time to homeschool? Or what?

If it's the legal requirements, just let me know what state you're in and I can look those up for you.
juststephanie
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm unsure of where to start at this point in the school year. with the curriculum i used last year, i started and finished. how do i figure out what to do for the last 4 months that are left?
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: For the rest of the four months you should: Reply with quote

Probably the easiest thing to do (if possible) is to find out from your daughter's school what the rest of the school year will be covering, then duplicate the coursework using your own materials. That way you know she isn't missing anything. Short of that, you'll just have to get a grade's worth of curriculum, separate it into topics that have been covered and topics that haven't, and work out a schedule based on the topics that haven't been covered. This may mean jumping around inside the books a lot for now, but you can't help that, and it shouldn't be a major problem as long as you determine in advance how much still remains to be done and where it is in the books.

Another consideration is whether you intend to keep homeschooling or not. If you'll be homeschooling your daughter beyond the four months, you don't have to worry so much about keeping to the school schedule, and can take more time now to figure out how you're going to do this. If you lose a few weeks here, you can always make it up later during what would normally be summer vacation.
Life2me
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may even be able to get the text books from your daughters school. If not, you can go to the district and talk to the person who supervises the curriculum for her school and have them give you an outline of what the 1st graders would be studying this way you can see the entire 1 grade curriculum and pick up where she needs to pick up not just where the school left off. Or if you have some friends who homeschool with 1st grade curriculum not being used you can maybe evaluate your daughter yourself and use the parts of the curriculum rather than buying an entire 1 grade curriculum for just a few months. There is also a curriculum call what your ? grader needs to know. I put the ? in the title because you can get any grade up to 6th.( I think) the wed address is
Arrow http://www.coreknowledge.org I have some of the books and I think they can help you with picking up the rest of 1st grade.
Laura.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: