Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naming your Home School?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovelife
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Naming your Home School? Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I've been thinking of naming our HS and wondered if anyone else has???

some of our thopughts are Ohanna Christian Academy, Creative Kidz Learning 4 life Academy and more!

How about you guys??
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a thread on naming your homeschool in Getting Started.
fireflygem
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a totally great idea and sound fun but i have no idea on what to name it
micheller79
User

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: name Reply with quote

I let my daughter name her own school. She designed a cover for a "yearbook" I guess that is one of the things she misses from public school. We are Oak Academy, because we sit at the desk and look out at the oak tree in our yard.
VJ
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Creative Names Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a homeschooling mom with a teaching degree. In my state that allows me to teach other kids in my home. Last year, in addition to my son, I had two other grade school kids. We gave our home school a name by taking the first three letters of each name and putting them togther. I also kept a blog and created a parallel name by taking the two letters of their "computer" names and came up with "RaToNa." I found an appropriate clip art on the computer and used it to make matching "polo" shirts and sweatshirts for field trips. The kids had a lot of fun with the name.

As an aside, I also noticed that with the matching "field trip uniforms" we were treated much more like a school than just another homeschool group.

One of my students last year did not return so we didn't bother with a name this year; simply using the name of our curriculum and my last name as our school name.
frogguruami
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are Winding Paths Homeschool.
learningallthetime
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Naming your homeschool Reply with quote

Just a word of advice from a veteran: what may seem like a cute, clever, whimsical name for your school when you are just starting out with preschoolers can feel like a real albatross to your kids when they are older for a variety of situations. Think filling out forms for community sports, etc. where name of school is requested, but much more importantly when they apply to college. Yeah, I know you think that won't be happening from your HS but it might. In my case, I had established myself as a private school, legally in my state and had a specific # attached to my school which was useful in signing them up for our state's proficiency exam, SAT's etc. so it seemed problematic to me to change it as time went on. So I tried to use stationary that reflected a tongue-in-cheek reference to my school name when I wrote cover letters for college admissions committees, but boy I wish I'd thought that one over better initially and I know my sons wished that as well. They couldn't lose that name until they had a college diploma to put on their resume instead!
Melenie
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Naming your homeschool Reply with quote

learningallthetime wrote:
Just a word of advice from a veteran: what may seem like a cute, clever, whimsical name for your school when you are just starting out with preschoolers can feel like a real albatross to your kids when they are older for a variety of situations. Think filling out forms for community sports, etc. where name of school is requested, but much more importantly when they apply to college. Yeah, I know you think that won't be happening from your HS but it might. In my case, I had established myself as a private school, legally in my state and had a specific # attached to my school which was useful in signing them up for our state's proficiency exam, SAT's etc. so it seemed problematic to me to change it as time went on. So I tried to use stationary that reflected a tongue-in-cheek reference to my school name when I wrote cover letters for college admissions committees, but boy I wish I'd thought that one over better initially and I know my sons wished that as well. They couldn't lose that name until they had a college diploma to put on their resume instead!

I have heard the same said by other homeschool parents. Others have said not to use your last name in the school name either.

Our state requires us to pick a name and register the school, fortunately we do not have to do that a for a few more years, so I have loads of time to think about it.
Gumby
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom wanted to name our HS The Little Red School House (because our house is red) but we told her that there was no way we were going to put that down on college applications and the like. So, we ended up with Part of the name being Parkside because we live 5 houses down from a park.
bittersweet
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to register our school name. I chose Strawberry School when ds was just a toddler. I expect him to choose a more adult name (a new one every year if the kids choose), but he's pretty attached to it for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: