Avoidance

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Tue May 29, 2007 6:55 am

Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue May 29, 2007 11:24 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

arewethereyet
User

Postby arewethereyet » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:46 pm

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Do I think addressing problems (whether these problems are with the school, the child or a bit a both,) with working solutions is avoiding them?

No.

sevenkidsisgreat
User

Postby sevenkidsisgreat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Maybe you should also look into WHY do children bully. Mostly it is latent anger for having their creative selves killed in the public school system. They are lashing out at whoever is closest, their peers. Most of us, even though bullying may have been a factor, choose to school our children at home because they are getting a superior education. My daughter was bullied in kindergarten and on the bus but the real reason we pulled her out was she was unable to learn to read using the failed look/say method of reading instruction. Learning can not take place when you are afraid and if that is termed avoidance, then so be it. Why is it that when violence to children is in the home is requires removal of the child but when it happens in school it is called avoidance of character building when a parent removes them. Seems a bit hypocritical, don't you think.

Cheryl

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:29 pm

Bullying wasn't a factor in our decision btw.

L1Bailey
User

Un/Home Schooling

Postby L1Bailey » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 pm

I think it's safe to say that the "Post-er" expected to ruffle feathers. That is good! Congratulations.
I feel that I wear some unschooling "war-wounds" after embarking on this unknown journey with my stepson (who has Asperger's and a severe Hearing Impairment) almost 5 years ago. He was definately "bullied" at public school until age 9, and he also had the language ability of an 18 month old child, at best (at age 9)....though the public school system seemed OKAY with that and passed him on year after year. At that time, I worked with, and also fought, the "school" system for nearly a year after discovering my stepson's challenges. The 'school' system encouraged us to "homeschool" when I called in enough ammo of counselors, speech therapists, etc. Public & Private School had no clue how to encourage our son's gifted artistic and scientific abilities....whilst creatively progessing his language and mathematic skills. We then dove into homeschooling at the same time we quickly had three babies (and evacuated from hurricane katrina whilst pregnant with baby #3 at 8 months). Unschooling became a natural option for our son.
Several Years later..........we find ourselves residents in London.....and our now 14 year old son is still unschooling. He has a portfolio that he's created of his own of inventions, universe theories and electro magnetic diagrams that rival that of mr. Davinci.......or mr. Hawkins.......and that would peak the interest of mr. Einstein if he were alive today (I say this as a stepmum who admires her stepson at same time she is also annoyed by her stepson).......... I breathe easy knowing that he is not bullied by the wimps in public school who take their frustrations out on the children the maintream labels as 'weak'. Our son left those bullies behind years ago, and as a mother, I find myself hoping that the parents of those bullies wake up and give their children the attention they are craving. My husband and I could care less that our son, or our other younger children, "learn" how to mingle with the mainstream. We just want them to make friends with each other and with other's as they feel comfortable......(isn't that what friendship is about?)......... I hope that they remain ignorant of such maintstream, and when introduced at various times, that they simply connect to it or walk away. It's really not my business when all is said and done. It's my children's business and I can honestly say that I have not mapped out their destiny to ensure that they "fit in" with mainstream society at some point in their lives. I do hope that they challenge it and will also recognise ignorance when faced with it, and respond accordingly.

StellarStory
User

Re: Un/Home Schooling

Postby StellarStory » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Found this today on MSN.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20146910/
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”