Looking for reading list suggestions

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

4given
User

Looking for reading list suggestions

Postby 4given » Fri May 25, 2007 8:27 am

This school year coming up, I am planning a whole new approach in L.Arts. We will be dropping formal grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. We will be focusing on lots of reading, as well as, journaling and writing some essays. This is where we were heading, naturely. Also, I have taken much of Theodore's comments about grammar, etc. to heart. And since he is so well spoken, I'm convinced.

Now, I would like to hear from others... what's on your reading list? My two oldest sons are entering 6th and 4th grades. Anything from classics to comics...

Thanks,
Sheila

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri May 25, 2007 2:34 pm

There are piles of classics and fun books you could try. Here's a few to get you started, in no particular order:

Swiss Family Robinson
Island of the Blue Dolphin
Where the Red Fern Grows
Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Wheel on the School
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Borrowers
The Railway Children
Hardy Boys
Pippi Longstocking
Freddy the Pig (we sell these, if your library doesn't have them)
Tintin (one of the best comic book series ever)

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri May 25, 2007 5:10 pm

What a great list! I knew you'd have some great suggestions. I thought I might start the year with The Chronicles of Narnia. They were favorites of mine when I was about their age.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri May 25, 2007 11:55 pm

I still read them occasionally :)

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Sat May 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Here is a great History book list. The entries are also coded by grade level.

http://www.abookintime.com/
AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon May 28, 2007 3:53 pm

my third grader loves the box car children.
I go to a lot of tag sales and love to pick up older books. we talk a lot about how things have changed since the book was written, and i love the fact that the morals of the people in the stories are so much better than some of the books that are written today.

If you google search "book lists" you can find some interesting books too.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon May 28, 2007 7:46 pm

My third-grader loves the boxcar series, as well. He'll sit and read the whole book in one day. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Sheila

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon May 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Chronicles of Narnia (usually viewed as Christian lit, but we are not Christian and have enjoyed the books. C.S. Lewis did a fantastic job at leaving the book open to interpretation regardless of which way your beliefs swing) and Series of Unfortunate Events (a little dark, but who doesn't love a dark tale every now and then? :P . Both good series and looooong - should keep the kiddos busy for a while. :D

Eragon is another good one if your family has a fantasy bend like ours does. Eldest is good, so I've heard - haven't read that for myself yet.

The Giver is a good one (I believe it's written for early adolescents) and it's very thought provoking too.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue May 29, 2007 5:38 am

Dr do little, and Rudyard Kippling, James Harriot, If you like fantasy, RA Salvatore is wonderful. The many Drizzt series, are wonderful and that is what got my husband to like reading when he was a kid.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue May 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Dr. Doolittle is great, so is Jungle Book, and the All Creatures Great and Small book series by James Harriot is a classic. Wonderful suggestions there :) I also liked Eragon quite a bit - it was written by a homeschooler Christopher Paolini, who started writing the book at age 15 and actually beat out the Harry Potter books for #1 on the New York Times bestsellers list.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue May 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Theodore wrote:I also liked Eragon quite a bit - it was written by a homeschooler Christopher Paolini, who started writing the book at age 15 and actually beat out the Harry Potter books for #1 on the New York Times bestsellers list.

He has the third book coming out at some point - title and release date are currently unknown.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue May 29, 2007 8:35 pm

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the input. Can hardly wait to dig in... :D

micheller79
User

Reading List

Postby micheller79 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:58 am

Scholastic.com has a nice site.Does your library have a summer reading program? My daughter loves that.

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Calla_Dragon wrote:Eragon is another good one if your family has a fantasy bend like ours does. Eldest is good, so I've heard - haven't read that for myself yet.

Personally, I enjoyed Eldest more than Eragon.

Also, if they like dragons, The Dragonriders of Pern by Ann MacCaffrey are a good series.

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Some of Terry Pratchett's books are geared toward children. The Tiffany Aching books have the witch characters (Granny and Nanny) and the Nac Mac Feegle from his Discworld series, but are written for a younger audience. These include The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith. Pratchett also wrote The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents and The Bromeliad Trilogy (Truckers, Diggers, and Wings). I love Terry Pratchett :!:

The Heroic Adventure of Hercules Amsterdam by Melissa Glenn Haber

In the Keep of Time (1977) by Margaret J. Anderson

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”