Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I plan to homeschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHALL10
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Why I plan to homeschool Reply with quote

I live in the state of Florida and I have a son who is currently in the 3rd grade. In Florida, each student must pass a Florida Assessment test to be promoted to the 4th grade. My son, who is an overall B student, failed the reading portion of the test. Although he was not excelling at school in his reading abilities, he was considered border line on-grade level. He had never been identified as a risk for failing the assessment test nor had he been receiving an special instruction (since he was not considered below grade level). Our school is insisting that our son be held back and repeat the 3rd grade (unless he excells on another assessment given in June). They do not consider the fact that he is a B student and has shown evidence of mastering the 3rd grade material to be of any significance. (By the way, he scored a grade level above on the Math portion of the test). As a result of the low score on the reading assessment, we took our son to a tutoring facility and had him evaluated there as well. The result of the tutoring assessment (which includes the California Assessment Test) demonstrated that he is reading on grade level (his grade equivalency is 4.0 and he is just finishing 3rd grade). The director at the facility believes that my son more than likely failed the Florida Assessment test because of test anxiety. My son agrees that he was very nervous taking the Florida Assessment test because he knew that if he did not pass he would be held back in 3rd grade! What a burden to put on a 9 year old. We are so frustrated with the system -- which is obviously not working in our case and have made the decision to home school. We are a bit nervous about our decision but feel that it is the best one for our child. Any similar experiences out there??
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a similar experience to share.

I just wanted to say good luck with home school. It can be very rewarding.

Stellar
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you'll have the freedom to allow your son to advance where he's ready. That's great!

I do not have similar experiences to share. My two oldest were in PS for 2 years, though. I can confidently say they are much happier in HS, much more light-hearted.

Good luck in your new adventure!
Cally
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great you having him evaluated one on one to see for yourself. Our son would rush through the tests because he was afraid of not having enough time at school.

When I was little I did not take tests well either. I remember my dad talking to me about it. He taught me how to take tests and what attitude to take when taking a test. It was interesting how it influenced my life especially in college.

He taught me that a test is not this big deal everyone makes it out to be. He said a test is to see how much you know. If you don't know enough you need to go back and do it again. He said its not a matter of failing its a matter of you getting all the information you need. He always said when going into a test take the positive attitude of "Time to see what I know!" He said don't cram for tests learn things as you go because you really can't cram more in the morning of a test.

In college I never worried about tests and always did really well. There were people much smarter than me who would be very scared and not do as well as they should have done. It always amazed me at the anxiety they displayed! Although I did study really hard up to the night before.

Sounds like that is something your son needs also: instruction on taking tests. We have been working on pacing with tests. So there is time to get it all done. Now while they are young is the perfect time for them to learn these valuable skills before the other becomes habit!

Good luck on your journey!
Cally
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a main reason but skipping the MCAS test is definitely a bonus to homeschooling. My oldest still receives SPed in the PS, and the sped teacher is so glad that he doesn't have to take them!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: