Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

starting homeschooling for 16 year old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: starting homeschooling for 16 year old Reply with quote

I am interested in homeschooling for my 16 year old who is finishing up her sophomore year of high school. She is very unhappy there and is getting excited about the thought of homeschooling. I just don't know where to begin. I'm not sure I understand the whole process. Does she have to belong to something that will monitor her work or is it all on our own? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're generally past the state regulations regarding homeschooling by age 16, but let me know what state you're in and I can check. She won't have to be monitored, though, and she can basically just complete the remaining coursework for official high school graduation in your state (check online or ask the local high school / community college counselor) and then follow up with nationally standardized tests such as AP, CLEP, DSST. Colleges shouldn't give you any trouble about it, and neither will businesses.

In our case, we just studied for and tested out of most of our high school courses, and took a few of the more difficult (or interesting) ones at the local community college. None of us have had difficulties getting into college afterwards.
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: homeschool for 16 year old Reply with quote

Thanks for that reply. We live in MA so i believe she is passed the compulsory age. I didn't know where to start with the curriculum but your answer helped. I will find out from the high school what she would have needed to graduate and I'll go from there. I just don't understand how to go about getting the materials she will need. Do I buy a homeschooling packet? (is that what you'd even call it!). And if she doesn't have to report to the school is there anyone or any place that we have to report her progress to? Or do we just make sure she completes the work and then begins taking the tests for college. And what if she decides not to go to college? Is she considered to have a high school diploma?
Sorry for so many questions at once. This is a very scary but exciting time!
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of high schools and colleges put syllabuses online along with a list of recommended books, you can just Google for whatever subject you're interested in and look for those. No, you don't have to report to anyone in MA after age 16, you can just complete the work and take standardized tests. Yes, you can "award" yourself a high school diploma once you have completed the state high school graduation requirements (which, incidently, may be slightly different from your local high school's graduation requirements) to your own satisfaction. A diploma is just a piece of paper, what really matters is how you did in key subjects, and you'll have test scores to back you up there.
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: homeschool 16 year old Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info. Very helpful.
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: homeschool for 16 year old Reply with quote

My daughter's high school requires 2 years of phys.ed. She already took one. Do you know what would qualify for phys.ed.?
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sport or anything that remotely qualifies as a regular physical activity. Mowing the lawn could be phys ed, for instance.
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: homeschooling for 16 year old Reply with quote

ok good to know
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: homeschool for 16 year old Reply with quote

ccrdh82 wrote:
My daughter's high school requires 2 years of phys.ed. She already took one. Do you know what would qualify for phys.ed.?

My girl is taking Aikido because we have to do one year. She totally fell in love with it.

My boy was going to try fencing but suddenly he's all about tennis. I'm looking into lessons for him now.

For a while there I thought I'd just join our local city gym. I had planned to do cardio 3-4 days a week and weights the in between days taking off at least one day on the weekend. I thought we would both do that. I hired a personal trainer for two sessions to teach us proper use of the machines. It was great until I got sick.

While we were doing that my son who was too young would use the skate park or play basketball.

Stellar
ccrdh82
User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: phys.ed for high schooler Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure!

*smiles*

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: