Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustration w/public schools and a question(long vent :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novo4
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Frustration w/public schools and a question(long vent :) Reply with quote

Hi! New here and somewhat new to the idea of homeschooling. I have thought about occasionally over the past few years, but my husband doesn't agree with the idea so I have pushed it aside, until now. I am just frustrated with the huge classes that these kids are in to the point that the teachers can't keep track of the kids work. My son is having issues in his English class this year, has actually failed every marking and is on the verge of repeating 8th grade. This is somewhat due to the dicouragement of doing work and having the teacher lose it. Just recently the new marking began and if he doesn't get an 80% he fails the grade. I received my first progress report and he is getting a 47%!! I was very mad at him and he was crying swearing he did it. I emailed the teacher and she emails back and says she found it, she had misplaced it! It was a project grade, changed his grade from a 47% up to a 76%!! Now, he has sworn in the past to having turned in work, but she claimed no. There is no way to dispute these things and she may have lost other papers of his and he may have to repeat a grade partly due to her carelessness. My son devolped an attitude of what is the point of doing my work when she always loses it and I pay the price. Sorry so long but I am frustrated. My thing is I am worried if I choose to homeschool and he later decides he wants to go back to public school, can we do that? How would that work? If I pull him and put him through school all summer and he chooses have way through the 9th grade year that he misses it and wants to return is that any longer an option? I also have a 9 year old and want to know this for her as well.BTW I am in Michigan. Thank you!
novo4
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading my post I just want to add that this is not the only reason that I am thinking of homeschooling. I have had many issues, especially with DD with the public schools. Things some might view as ridiculous, but that are issues for me. In second grade and third grade my daughter was never allowed a recess and I was getting constant calls from the teachers about her not sitting still. As an adult when I take a class the teachers always allow for a 10 minute break every hour to stretch, so why wouldn't I expect my daughter to get to? She is a very active sporty kid, always outside playing, so to keep her sitting without any movement time is hard on her. I know she should follow rules, and she does MOST of the time, sometimes it gets hard with the tedium of sitting in a chair all day. The main reason I send her to school is for the social intraction, but she isn't receiving that. I would appreciate any and all input, especially how to get started if this is what I choose to do. I was thinking of starting my son now if that is a possibility and maybe my daughter next year. Once again my big concern is if this doesn't end up working out for us, is public school an option anymore, and if yes how do they know where to place my kids?
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From INCH: Home Education Options Under Michigan Law:

Families choosing to home school under exemption (3)(f) are not required to do any type of reporting to any school official. If you are sent a SM4325 form, you do not have to return it or make any type of response. The MDE has stated that, "If the home school family has not registered, the Department will consider the home school family to be operating under the exemption (f) solely." There is also no law requiring that any information be provided to the local or intermediate school district. Therefore, a home school existing under (3)(f) has no responsibility to provide any information to local school officials.

To begin a home education program you simply begin home schooling. You do NOT have to ask permission, get a license or even a permit. You do NOT have to request a Non-Public School Membership Reporting Form (form SM4325). You must provide your children instruction in the subject areas of Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing and English Grammar."

Entrance procedures for getting your children back into public school may vary from the school taking your word for it what grade they're in, to testing and placing them in the lowest grade they get for any subject. It all depends on the school, and you probably want to find out what the procedure is well in advance and get it on paper - just in case the school changes its mind later.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had problems like this with our son and his teacher, we created a form. Our son was responsible for getting his work done and for getting his teacher to sign the form saying it had been done each day.

If he did not he suffered a loss of privileges. Each day was a new day that he could earn his privileges.

It's funny now but the teacher called us to warn us about our son's grades one day stating that he hadn't turned his work in often enough. I was more than surprised but in such shock I couldn't put together the words to say just why.

I guess the teacher figured it out though because he called back the next day with a radically different story. I think he figured out we had a record that showed he had said the child did do his work.

That was his last public school teacher. He was the one that "broke the camels back" so to speak.

Stellar
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known at least one family that was able to home school for a year and return their kids to school with no problems.

I'm not sure what the exact rules for your state would be to get back into school, possibly a placement test of some sort, but I'm sure it's something you could do.

Personally I don't see anyone changing thier minds and going back to public school after trying home school. Then again there are a million ways to home school.

People do get burnt out and are at times so restrictive with their kids that kids don't feel a significant benefit at times, I suppose. I can see that they might therefore wish to return to school. A place that would supervise them less, let the goof off more and require less from them. I guess it depends on the personalities, expectations and curriculum involved.

Good luck!

Let us know how you are doing.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: