lost on where to go next year for math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

lost on where to go next year for math

Postby DESmom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:13 am

My oldest DD is finishing up Miquon math and I don't know where to go with her next. She is loving and doing good on miquon. My next DD is using horizons as miquon didn't work with her.
I have heard alot go to Saxon but others said it was a hard transition and a few that jsut don't like Saxon at all.
Homeschooling mom to
Katelyn, Breanna, Danelle, Morgann, Terresa, Timothy and Isabella

Postby StellarStory » Thu May 03, 2007 8:06 am

I don't know much about either of the math programs you listed.

We use Math U See. The kids like it.

I don't know what age your oldest is, but if she is a teen I'd have her look over some materials with you to help pick.

Bob Hazen

after Miquon

Postby Bob Hazen » Fri May 04, 2007 5:18 am

You don't say what grade your daughter is in. Here's a couple suggestions:
1. Visit some other homeschool families and/or a local homeschool coop. See and hear what other families liked - and WHY.
2. Can you pinpoint what your child's learning style is? That can guide your decision about what type of math to use. Do a websearch on learning styles - there's probably a site that has a quick diagnosis on this.
3. Saxon: I personally like Saxon at the junior high level - Algebra 1 and beyond. The strength of Saxon is the continual review. The weakness of Saxon is the continual review. I think the continual review is a far greater strength than weakness.
4. Singapore: I've heard nothing but good about Singapore.
5. A main point is to do things in which your child USES math and HAS FUN with math - such as playing games like Yahtzee, Rummy, Ring-A-Round, Math Dice, 24, Crypto, etc. See my website for a booklet I've written on "Math Games to Supplement Any Math Curriculum" for more ideas there.
6. But the USING of math is a central thing - outside of a text, outside of official school time.

Hope this helps!

Bob Hazen

Return to “Math”