Homeschooling a child who does not want to be homeschooled?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wrightno
User

Homeschooling a child who does not want to be homeschooled?

Postby wrightno » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:42 pm

HOW DO YOU HOME SCHOOL A CHILD IF THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE HOMESCHOOLED,BUT YOU AS THE PARENT FEEL THEIR IS A NEED TO HOMESCHOOL DUE TO THE PROBLEMS IN SCHOOL THEY ARE HAVING THAT THEY ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT.
natasha w.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:06 pm

First you take the caps lock off, please.

You don't mention the age or the grade of the child.

Then you sit down with the other adult if there is one and discuss it.

Next you have a family meeting to discuss it. Discuss the things the kid will enjoy about it. Let them have a voice about how things will be done, what they would like, how to keep them in touch with their buds and so on.

Then, you take some time to think about it. You research it. You try to find a way to do it and there are a million ways that will work for your kid and the adult(s) living in the home.

Finally, you announce your decision to have a trial period of home schooling.

When the child actually gets benefits from the arrangement he or she will be surprised and probably very happy about it. Make sure you arrange for play dates or times to hang with other home schooled kids in a fun way. Don't let them lose touch with the buds that are important to them.

Let them continue any extra curricular activities they really enjoy. Find support and people to talk with, or bounce ideas off of for YOU.

Don't try to do too much schooling at first. That can lead to burn out for you both.

IMO, home school should NOT be like school only at home. If that's the case what is the point? Home school should be better, more fun, and less structured, at least in the early and middle school years.

Good luck!

Stellar

wrightno
User

thanks for the information

Postby wrightno » Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 pm

hello,thanks for the information.
natasha w.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu May 03, 2007 12:59 pm

You are very welcome.

Home school like many things is a journey. Sometimes we get so caught up in getting to our destination that we forget to enjoy that journey. The destination is merely the end of the journey itself.

Stellar

Babydoop
User

Lonely child - Any advice??

Postby Babydoop » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:50 pm

StellarStory, any advice for hsing the prek-k child that really, really wants to be with other kids??

I'm wondering if I need to allow her to go to private school, just for the companionship. We don't know any kids where we live...Age 4, girl, to start K, Sept. 08...
Thanks!
Jesus is Lord!

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:18 pm

I would say try a mother's day out program at a church you trust. Those are typically 2-3 days a week for a few hours. Or try pre-school at a church which depending on the age are usually a few hours a day, 2-5 days a week.

My kids went to both. We loved their pre-school. It was good quality, well oraganized and good socialization.

The other options would be to find or start a play group or home school co-op for this age group. The co-op might grow with your children. A buddy of mine did this and it was a very successful thing. It' doesn't have to be really formal. One season y'all could garden, read books about gardening and play. Another season you could cover other things.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”